11th March 2023

By Jacob Jones

Yeovil Town picked up an important point at the Technique Stadium with a trademark away performance against a high-flying Chesterfield side. 

A brilliant header from Ryan Law on the stroke of half-time left the travelling faithful buoyant, meaning they could make the four-hour journey home in good spirits. 

Following Tuesday’s 1-0 win, two changes were enforced on Mark Cooper with the injured Morgan Williams being replaced with Edwin Agbaje. Elsewhere, Lawson D’Ath came in for Matthew Worthington who missed out with an unfortunate overnight illness. 

Chesterfield took control of the game from the whistle and created the first chance with January signing Ryan Colclough firing just over after receiving the ball on the turn. 

Grant Smith was then tested for the first time after Laurence Maguire, known for his aerial prowess saw his header tipped over by the Yeovil number one. 

The pressure was beginning to mount and after a shot was fired in by the Chesterfield player, Jamie Reckord was adjudged to have handballed it in the box. Experienced striker Paul McCallum stepped up for the penalty and slotted it down the middle making it 1-0 to the home side. 

Yeovil though would not be diminished and Jordan Young was able to evade a few tackles before picking out Ryan Law who flicked the ball expertly into the bottom corner, levelling proceedings at the Proact. 

Buoyed by the goal, Mark Cooper’s men were on the front foot and Jordan Stevens saw his effort palmed away by Ross Fitzsimons. 

Chesterfield started the second half as they did the first and McCallum wasn’t far off adding his second as his headed effort went just over the bar. 

The Glovers were controlling the ball much better following the break and Reckord almost put them into the lead but couldn’t quite get on the end of a Jordan Maguire-Drew cross. 

Ryan Colclough was now at the forefront of every Chesterfield attack and created opportunities for both Jeff King and Maguire but they were unable to convert. 

With the 90 minutes almost up McCallum missed a golden opportunity for Chesterfield. After good work down the right-hand side Liam Mandeville picked out the striker with his cross and with all the time in the world the striker could only head it straight at Yeovil’s keeper. 

Five minutes were added on at the end of the game but neither side could find a winner and Yeovil would go home with an impressive point. 

Next up we travel to Barnet on Tuesday looking to keep the strong performances going. 

Yeovil Town: Smith; Agbaje, Staunton, Bevan, Reckord, Law, Cooper, D’Ath, Stevens (Johnson), Maguire-Drew (Fisher), Young (Oluwabori) 

Subs not used:  Griffiths