18th January 2014

On a cold, wet and blustery afternoon Town returned to Somerset with all three points in their pockets.

Two James Hayter goals in seven first half minutes gave the Glovers a well deserved victory against Lee Clark’s men.

Manager Gary Johnson made two changes to his started eleven with new loanee Zoumana Bakayogo and Kieffer Moore replacing Liam Davis and Kevin Dawson.

After a quiet opening period the game sprung to life when the Glovers took a 12th minute lead.

A Hayden Mullins under hit back pass was pounced upon by Hayter and with just Randolph to beat the striker made no mistake in lofting the ball over the advancing shot stopper and into the empty net.

Minutes later the Birmingham number one was again called into action. This time Randolph parried a strong Joe Ralls left footed effort into the path of Kieffer Moore. The former Dorchester man hit a first time shot but Randolph was quick to his feet to deny the big striker.

In the 19th minute the Glovers doubled their lead thanks to that man Hayter. A ball over the top evaded the Blues back line and found Moore. The Town number 13 held the ball up beautifully before laying to Ralls, whose sweet left footed cross found the diving head of Hayter six yards out.

At the other end Lee Novak hit the bar with a header before Stech was called into action to deny Paul Caddis with a fine diving save.

The Glovers were dealt a blow when debutant Bakayogo had to leave the field with an injury. The Leicester man fell to the ground with no one around him and had to be helped from the field by the two physios.

Just before the break the Glovers could have made it 3-0. Moore broke away but seemed to have been fouled just as he was about to shoot, but referee Graham waved away the claims. From the rebound Grant, Ralls and Hayter were all denied by last ditch defending.

The second half kicked off with the rain hammering down and the away following of 680 in fine voice. With under ten minutes of the second period played Town were had to make another substitute due to injury. Skipper Jamie McAllister had to be replaced by Matteo Lanzoni after the Scot picked an injury.

With just over 20 minutes to play Stech pulled off a wonderful one handed save to deny Burke. With the goal at his mercy it looked like Burke had pulled a goal back, but the Town’s number one had other ideas and pulled off what has to be one of the saves of the season.