24th September 2019

Yeovil Town extened their winning run to six consecutive games against Aldershot Town thanks to goals from Jimmy Smith, Myles Hippolyte and Rhys Murphy.

Victory in Hampshire meant the green and whites continued the club’s best run of form since February 2013.

Despite the visitors pulling level through Max Hunt, the Glovers resilient character shone through to ensure three points would be returning back down the A303 to Huish Park.

Darren Sarll was forced into two changes from the side which beat Solihull Moors on Saturday.

Due to an injury which forced centre-back Luke Wilkinson in goal against Solihull, Liam O’Brien was replaced by new signing Adam Smith on-loan from Forest Green Rovers.

Sarll’s second change was in the midfield as former Leyton Orient man Charlie Lee was replaced by Albi Skendi at the base of the Glover’s diamond. 

After a foul on Smith, the Glovers had their first shooting chance in the third minute. Carl Dickinson took the free-kick from 25-yards out but it sailed well over the bar.

Yeovil would take the lead with the second shot of the game just four minutes later. After a handball shout was waved away by the referee, the Aldershot back-line stopped in their tracks as Hippolyte burst through and put the green and whites ahead.

The hosts would have their first attempt of significance in the 11th minute. Following Connor Shield’s cross being cleared by the Yeovil defence, Jack Powell lashed a speculative effort over the bar.

Town could have made it two goals within the first 15 minutes, a fast counter attack cut through the Aldershot defence as Hippolyte sent through Gold Omotayo, the ball then fell to the feet of Murphy who could not direct his effort into the back of the net.

Aldershot’s threat in the opening stages of the game largely consisted from efforts from distance. Ethan Chislett had the the best effort as his shot deflected just wide for a corner. 

Aldershot would equalise from the resulting corner as defender Max Hunt towered above the Yeovil defense and emphatically head home the leveller. 

Following Aldershot’s equaliser, the game was finely in the balance as neither side could gain a significant strangehold. 

It wouldn’t be until the 35th minute for there to be another sight of goal. After some intricate football, Matt Worthington found space for a cross on the right-wing, his delivery was met by  Murphy but the forward’s header looped over the bar. 

Yeovil’s lead would be restored in the 38th minute, some quick passing between Worthington and Hippolyte freed J.Smith allowing the midfielder to slot home his second Glovers goal in front of the travelling fans. 

The last chance of the half fell to the hosts as attacking midfielder Chislett, who had been a thorn in the Yeovil side all half, powered to the edge of the box and shot, only to have his effort blocked. 

Despite the lead at the break, the hosts had looked threatening on a number of occasions in the first half leaving the National League clash on a knife-edge.

It should have been three in the opening minutes of the second half, a wonderful clipped pass from Skendi, was flicked on by J.Smith into the path of Omotayo who had acres of space inside the box. The Swiss striker did not realise the time and space he had meaning he rushed his effort, firing the ball wide of the mark.

The Glovers evening trip to Hampshire would get even better as Murphy added a third with a wonderful individual effort from a tight angle. After recieving the ball from Worthington in the right channel, the attacker twisted and turned and sent a looping effort into the back of the net.

Yeovil could have added a fourth in the 64th minute, after a mix-up in the Aldershot back-line, Murphy was sent pacing through on goal, the forward had his initial effort saved, then J.Smith burst onto the ball and attempted to round Mitch Walker in the Aldershot net but to no avail.

The hosts had an almost identical chance just one minute later as Lee Collins had the ball taken from his feet by Panayiotou, but the forward had his effort blocked. 

The hosts continued to push throughout the closing stages but struggled to fashion any clear cut opportunities of note.

The best chace of the final ten minutes actually fell to Yeovil as substitute James Tilley burst past the Aldershot midfield and fired from distance, only for his effort to loop just over the bar. 

Ultimately, Sarll’s men were able to shut up shop throughout the dying embers to secure another three points for the green and whites.

Aldershot Town: Walker; Kinsella, Lyons-Foster, Fowler, Hunt; Santos (Mullings), Panayiotou, Chislett, Eyoma (Fletcher), Powell; Shields (Berkeley-Agyepong).

Subs not used: Tinkler, Whittingham.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Alcock, Dickinson, Collins, Wilkinson; Skendi, Worthington (D’Ath), Hippolyte, J.Smith (Tilley); Omotayo, Murphy (McCoy).

Bookings: Hippolyte, Smith

Subs not used: Bradbury, Hutton, McCoy.