30th January 2016

Jack Compton scored his first professional hat-trick in a 3-2 win over in form AFC Wimbledon.

Town had to come back from twice from being a goal behind to secure all three points on a cold but sunny afternoon at Kingsmeadow.

Town manager Darren Way kept the same starting eleven that beat Crawley Town seven days earlier. The only change came on the bench with Harry Cornick replacing Ryan Bird, who was struck down with illness.

After a pretty low key start the home side took the lead after. Following some neat passing the ball fell to debutant Fitzpatrick 20-yards from goal and his strike from just outside the area left keeper Krysiak with no chance.

The lead lasted only four minutes before Town levelled and what a goal from Town it was. A superb through ball from loanee Liam Walsh set up the run of Jack Compton perfectly. The former Hartlepool man made no mistake in slotting the ball under Shea, much to the delight of the travelling faithful.

On 18 minutes Town nearly took the lead when a Walsh corner from the Yeovil left was headed against his own bar by Jon Meades, whilst under pressure from Jakub Sokolik.

Despite Town having the majority of the play since they equalised the home side regained the lead after 30 minutes. A through ball was picked up by Elliott, who controlled well and smashed the ball home into the top corner, leaving Krysiak with no chance.

This time the home side’s lead lasted only five minutes and it was Compton who scored again. A free kick on the right wing looked to be set up for a perfect crossing opportunity, but Compton had other ideas as his cross/shot sailed over the backtracking Shea and into the top corner.

Town started the second half brightly with shots from Compton and Walsh stinging the palms of Shea in the AFC Wimbledon goal.

Way made his first change of the match just before the hour mark when he replaced Shaun Jeffers with Kevin Dawson.

Town deservedly took the lead after substitute Dawson’s run was ended in the box by defender Kennedy. Up stepped Compton to confidently smash the ball home to give the lead for the first time in the match and to score his first professional hat-trick.

With just under ten minutes remaining Town made their second sub with Simon Gillett replacing the very impressive Liam Walsh. The introduction of Gillett ended more than a year on the sidelines for the midfielder.

Despite the two set backs of going behind twice Town battled back to secure a battling win against a inform AFC Wimbledon side.