27th July 2019

In control from the first whistle against a City side splattered with first-team members, the green and whites’ dominance translated into the lead midway through the half when Rhys Murphy added to his pre-season tally.

Deserving of a second, it came on 43 minutes when Tom Bradbury was perfectly placed from close range to conclude a bright first-half.

Second best until after the restart, the Robins came out rejuvenated and grabbed a goal back through Matty Taylor but the green and whites held firm to secure a fourth warm-up win.

Starting their National League campaign in seven days time, Darren Sarll started with the core of players who’ll likely walkout at Barnet next weekend. 

Newest recruit Tom Whelan appeared for the first time as an official Glover, whilst three trialists were given the chance to impress from kick-off.

Displaying the match sharpness they’ll need at The Hive the hosts were dominant early on as they enjoyed a monopoly on possession which yielded early chances. 

In the opening minutes, Murphy looked to continue his goal scoring form with a low drive from the edge of the box that had to be smothered by Jojo Wollacott, before Trialist C combined with Trialist B to glance a header a yard wide.

Remaining on the front foot, Whelan went close with two strikes from range as the pressure grew but the opening goal wasn’t long in coming. 

Having threatened from open play a set-piece proved to provide the decisive moment when Matt Worthington’s delivery was headed home at the near post by Murphy for his sixth goal in as many games.

Maintaining their grip on proceedings the Glovers looked comfortable for their lead before a moment of deja vu saw the advantage doubled just before the break. 

Trialist B’s delivery from a corner caused chaos in the middle and after pinging around the box, Bradbury was on hand six yards out find the back of the net. 

Making two alterations at the halfway stage, Luke Williams’ side enjoyed their best spell of the match after the restart with some good territory and possession.

Captain for the day Taylor had a goal disallowed for offside on 52 minutes but his frustration was short-lived. 

Racing onto a clever ball over the top, the striker kept his composure to pick out the bottom corner and reduced the arrears with plenty of the match left to play.

Mirroring what Sarll’s side did in the first-half, the visitors maintained a stranglehold on the match and pressed for an equaliser. 

Tyreeq Bakinson drove a shot from 25 yards into the arms of Nelson before substitute Freddie Hinds slid in to direct Jonny Smith’s cross just wide.

Trying to build the pressure as the clock ticked towards the final 10 minutes, Taylor had a shot cleared off the line by Albi Skendi which was swiftly followed by Bakinson’s shot clipping the bar on its way over after firing from 25 yards.

Taking heed of the warnings, the hosts responded with two chances of their own. 

Substitute Ryan Seager squandered the opportunity to confirm the win by skewing his shot wide of the target from 12 yards before a flowing move ended with Matty Worthington heading Craig Alcock’s whipped-in delivery just over.

Unable to add their lead it proved to not be costly as the Glovers saw out the victory to end their pre-season schedule in a positive fashion.

Yeovil Town: Nelson; Skendi, Collins, Bradbury; Alcock, Worthington, Whelan, Trialist A (Trialist D 57′); Trialist B; Murphy (Shako 89′), Trialist C (Seager 63′).
Subs not used: Ojo, John, Duffus. 

Bristol City Under-23s: Wollacott; Thompson (Edwards 46′), Edwards, Evans, Smith (Harrison 46′), Vyner, Smith, Bakinson, Semenyo (Hinds 62′), Adelakun, Taylor. 
Subs not used: Buse, Britton, Day, Smith.