4th August 2018

In a tight-affair up north neither side could engineer much by way of chances in the first-half, as both goalkeepers remained largely spectators before a dramatic second 45 minutes. 

Both Francois Zoko and Yoann Arquin went close to opening the scoring before 10 minutes of madness saw the visitors reduced to nine men with Tom James and Jordan Green dismissed with almost half-an-hour still to play.

Producing an effective defensive display Town managed to keep out the hosts until the last minute, when a dramatic share of the spoils was snatched away by Gold Omotayo. 

With 10 players arriving at Huish Park over the summer, Darren Way handed out five competitive debuts from the start in Greater Manchester. 

Goalkeeper Nathan Baxter made his EFL debut between the sticks whilst Carl Dickinson, Sessi D’Almeida, Arquin and Diallang Jaiyesimi all marked their first starts in Green & White. 

With Stuart Nelson and Rhys Browne facing a short spell on the sideline, goalkeeper coach Steve Phillips took a spot on the bench along with Academy product Gabriel Rogers.

Bathed in typical early-season sunshine the visitors soon settled into the new campaign by demonstrating their expansive style of football but chances remained at a premium. 

Jaiyesmi dragged an effort a yard or two wide after working space on the edge of the box whilst at the other end Chris Dagnall headed well over the bar in a quiet opening quarter-of-an-hour.

Neither side was able to stamp complete authority on proceedings and the first save of the match wasn’t made until the 22nd minute.

Chris Stokes’ shot for the hosts was redirected by Dagnall inside the six-yard box but Baxter demonstrated lightning reactions to somehow keep the effort out before the linesman’s flag went up for offside.

The chance livened up the home supporters and with their support the Shakers enjoyed a spell of pressure. 

Nicky Adams’ set-piece delivery caused some concern in the Town box but a final touch couldn’t be applied as both Aimson and Dagnall found themselves in threatening positions. 

In an opening 45 minutes when neither keeper was truly tested, Jaiyesimi looked liveliest for Way’s side but the Norwich loanee had a penalty shout waved away by referee Dean Whitestone after a strong run into the box. 

Becoming a bitty close to the half any urgency evaporated to see it remain goalless at the break before the Glovers emerged reinvigorated after the restart. 

Taking Way’s words onboard instantly the visitors went close to scoring twice in quick succession, as firstly captain Francois Zoko had a deflected strike from the angle brilliantly tipped over the bar by Joe Murphy. 

Causing Bury all sorts of problems Town went close again just two minutes later when Arquin moved the ball onto his right foot before seeing a strike fly a matter of inches over the bar with the home stopper beaten. 

Moving into the ascendancy the Glovers were dealt a blow when James received his marching orders for a second bookable offence with just 54 minutes on the clock, to halt any momentum gathered.

Swiftly becoming a backs to the wall job, experienced defender Gary Warren came off the bench to make a difficult debut and settled the 10-men. 

However, far from ideal circumstances were made decidedly more difficult when Green was shown a straight red card for a miss-timed challenge 12 minutes later to leave the Somerset outfit with just nine men. 

With the Green & Whites handicapped the game developed to mimic a training ground exercise with attack versus defence, as Baxter produced a smart stop to deny Danny Mayor as the final ten minutes approached.

Becoming increasingly busy, the Chelsea loanee was called into action again to get down low to Byron Moore’s driven shot as frustrations grew amongst the home fans.

Producing a stunning defensive display, the Shakers couldn’t penetrate a determined rearguard action and looked to be heading to a disappointing draw before substitute Omotayo rescued Bury with a last-minute winner to condemn Yeovil to an opening day defeat tinted with drama. 

Bury: Murphy; Miller (Moore 65′), Aimson, O’Connell, Thompson, Stokes (Telford 72′); Adams, Danns, Styles, Mayor; Dagnall (Omotayo 77′).
Bookings: Miller 49′, Danns 90′.
Subs not used: Hudson, Dawson, McFadzean, Bunn.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; James, Mugabi, Donnellan, Dickinson; Green, Santos, D’Almeida, Arquin (Fisher 82′); Jaiyesimi (Warren 55′), Zoko (Cole 70′).
Bookings: James 44′, 54 (red), Green 66′ (red).
Subs not used: Phillips, McDonald, Rogers, Henry.