15th December 2019

The Yeovil Town U18’s fell to defeat against Premier League AFC Bournemouth despite a strong fight-back through Alfie Lloyd’s double.

The young Glovers welcomed table topping AFC Bournemouth to Alvington as they sought to build on their fine run of form and 4 straight wins.

AFC Bournemouth were quick off the blocks racing to a 3 -0 lead within the first 20 minutes. Adapting quickly to the blustery conditions, the visitors forward line proved clinical in front of goal as a rout threatened.

To the hosts credit, Yeovil refused to let their heads down and began to establish possession in the key midfield areas. On 30 minutes a stinging shot from Dan Neild drew a fine save from the visiting keeper as the home side threatened.

The breakthrough came in the 41st minute following a well delivered corner which was spilled by the keeper only for Lloyd to stab in the loose ball to reduce the arrears, 1-3.

As half time approached the young Glovers continued to press forward and, after an initial shot from Ben Hughes, Lloyd reacted quickest to the rebound and calmly slotted his second past the keeper to make it 2-3 at the break.

The second half started in a cagey fashion as both teams pressed for that crucial next goal. As the half wore on, substitutions were sent on in an attempt to seize the initiative.

A brave block from Tai Fleming at centre half led to a brief stoppage as the young Glovers held firm at the back in the face of a lively Bournemouth attack.

The tackles continued to fly in as the hosts sensed they could get something from the game and as the match entered the final stages Yeovil continued to press down the wings but couldn’t create that final opportunity. 

As the final whistle sounded the hosts left the field knowing they had very much held their own against their high-flying opponents and can take heart in their response to the opening setback. 

The young Glovers continue their quest for a top 6 finish with a visit to Portsmouth on Saturday.