23rd November 2019

Rhys Murphy’s hat trick was not enough as Yeovil Town drew 3-3 with Wrexham in an exciting encounter in North Wales.

Town took an early lead, but the hosts continued to peg back the Glovers through goals from Akil Wright, Rutherford and Bobby Grant to share the points.

Darren Sarll made two changes to the side which fell to defeat against Dover.

Luke Wilkinson returned to the side following his suspension, and James Tilley also came into the starting 11 as Sarll looked for a reaction from his forward line.

Sarll got the reaction from his side that he was looking for almost instantly, as Murphy fired Town into the lead. After a brilliant cross from Myles Hippolyte, the ball fell to Jimmy Smith who expertly dropped the ball into Murphy’s feet for an early lead.

The goal sparked the hosts into life, mounting serious pressure on Stuart Nelson’s goal.  Some heroic defending from Wilkinson denied the North-Wales side a leveller after Grant had found a way round Nelson. 

Wrexham would level the score in the 22nd minute through Wright. After some excellent work from Ben Tollitt, the forward played the ball across goal to Wright who comfortably levelled.

Wilkinson’s afternoon was cut short after the defender pulled up after defending a set-piece, Albi Skendi came on to replace him.

It was always going to take something special for Yeovil to claim the lead once again, and a brilliant pass from the substitute Skendi did just that. The versatile defender expertly played through Smith who once again combined with Murphy who bagged his second of the afternoon.

Not trying to be outdone, Wrexham scored an even more stunning goal just minutes later. Paul Rutherford fired from 30-yards out, leaving Nelson stranded and levelled the scoring.

After an electric first half, the two sides found themselves level at the break.

The second half began with the same intensity, and it didn’t take long for a goal, as the hosts found a way in front through Grant’s poked finish.

Yeovil had to react, and they did, forcing the play inside the Wrexham half.

This forcefulness would pay dividends in the 66thminute as Murphy capitalised upon Shaun Pearson’s mishit clearance to finish beyond Rob Lainton and complete his hat trick.

Neither side was willing to settle for a draw, Sarll made attacking changes bringing on the likes of Courtney Duffus and Chris Dagnall.

Duffus would almost make an instant impact as he caught Lainton off his line, only for the hosts to clear.

Wrexham would have the best chance to win it in stoppage time as earlier goalscorer Grant spurned an excellent chance inside the box.

Ultimately, neither side showed enough to win the game with the points shared at the Racecourse Ground.


Wrexham: Lainton, Pearson, Lawlor, Summerfield, Young, Tollitt (Patrick), Grant, Carrington, Rutherford, Reid (Reid), Wright.

Bookings: Rutherford, Pearson

Subs not used: Dibble, Redmond, Harris.


Yeovil Town: Nelson; Bradbury, Wilkinson (Skendi), Collins, Hutton (Dagnall); Lee, Tilley, D’Ath, Smith (Duffus), Hippolyte, Tilley; Murphy.

Bookings: Murphy

Subs not used: Jones, Omotayo, Duffus, Skendi, Dagnall