17th September 2023

The Glovers strolled into the Emirates FA Cup Third Round Qualifying after an emphatic 7-1 victory against AFC Stoneham, with goals coming from Jordan Young, Jake Wannell, Frank Nouble, Jordan Maguire-Drew, and a hat-trick from Rhys Murphy.

Charlie Cooper had the first chance for the Glovers in the opening minutes when his outside-foot effort was deflected narrowly over the bar. The resulting corner found the head of Jake Wannell, who was somehow denied by Callum Lee, who clawed away his downward header.

Debutant Michael Smith then got in on the act when the ball sat up nicely on the edge of the box for him, but his effort was held by Callum Lee in the Stoneham goal. Charlie Cooper again fired a long-range effort towards Callum Lee’s goal, which was deflected into the path of Frank Nouble, but the flag was up for offside.

Stoneham then had their first chance of the game on 14 minutes. Duarte Martins rose highest following a corner, but he could only watch as his headed effort flew wide of the left post. Moments later, Liam Callaghan made his way down the left wing, put in a cross, which was cleared. The clearance fell to the feet of Ryan Cluett, who brought the ball forward again before his shot from range was blocked, and Joe Day picked up the pieces.

On 22 minutes, the Glovers took control of the game once again. Michael Smith played the ball over to Jordan Stevens, who managed to find Josh Owers, who had an opportunity to shoot, but his tame effort was saved by Callum Lee. Two minutes later, Callum Lee pulled off his finest save of the lot when a shot from Michael Smith was tipped over the bar with the keeper at full stretch. Callum Lee had to be in full stretch once again as a long-range shot from Charlie Cooper was turned over the crossbar.

The Glovers finally broke the deadlock on 30 minutes. Jordan Young took responsibility for a free kick in a dangerous position, and his curling effort made it over the wall and beyond the outstretched arm of Callum Lee to make it 1-0.

Following the goal, the game momentarily settled until the Glovers doubled their lead on 43 minutes. A Jordan Young corner looped over everyone and found Jake Wannell, who beat two men to the ball and headed into the net to make it 2-0 just before the break.

The Glovers had two more chances before the half-time whistle as efforts from Frank Nouble and Josh Owers were unable to trouble Callum Lee in the AFC Stoneham goal.

The second half saw Yeovil come out in the same attacking vein as they finished the first, and it wasn’t long until they made it 3-0. Jordan Stevens worked well down the left and lofted the ball towards Frank Nouble at the back post, who simply guided his header in.

Following the goal, the first of the Glovers’ changes occurred when Jordan Maguire-Drew was introduced to replace Alex Whittle. It was the substitute who made it 4-0 just moments later. A free kick around 25 yards from goal was rolled gently by Jordan Young into the path of Jordan Maguire-Drew, who fired his low effort into the bottom corner, albeit via a slight deflection.

The substitutions came up trumps again. Rhys Murphy replaced Frank Nouble on 54 minutes and by the 60th minute had already etched his name onto the scoresheet. Jordan Stevens, once again patrolling the left wing, managed to put a cross in towards Rhys Murphy, who was at full stretch to poke it into the bottom corner.

Rhys Murphy was again causing issues when he latched onto a flicked through ball from Maguire-Drew, but the flag was up for offside as he made his shot. On 66 minutes, he then doubled his tally for the afternoon as he broke through, with just the keeper to beat, and rounded Callum Lee and slotted in from a tight angle to put the Glovers 6-0 up.

All the attacks were coming to Rhys Murphy now when Jordan Stevens lifted the ball towards Murphy, who found the net with a looping effort, but the flag was up as he strayed into an offside position.

With 20 minutes of normal time to play, Jordan Stevens was replaced by Jake Hyde after a very good shift following his first start since returning from injury. The substitute soon linked up with Rhys Murphy and almost got one of his own, but his first attempt and rebounded effort were both denied by the sprawling Callum Lee at the front post.

On 73 minutes, AFC Stoneham got a consolation goal. Tommy Barnes broke through the back line and rounded the oncoming Joe Day before placing it into the net to give the 202 traveling supporters a moment to remember.

Moments later, Charlie Cooper made a remarkable challenge as Stoneham came forward once again and found Alex Welch, who was unable to get his shot away. The resulting corner fell to the feet of Liam Callaghan at the front post, but he poked his effort wide of the goal.

The final 10 minutes saw the Glovers create all the chances. Matt Worthington, Jordan Maguire-Drew, and Charlie Cooper all had chances to grab Yeovil’s 7th of the afternoon but were all denied. It wasn’t until deep into stoppage time when Rhys Murphy latched onto a through ball and rounded Callum Lee to seal his first hat-trick since making his return to Huish Park.

As the game kicked off, Ollie Taylor brought an end to proceedings with 7-1 lit up on the scoreboard above the Dorset Vehicle Rentals Stand.

The draw for the Emirates FA Cup Third Round Qualifying will take place on Monday (18th) at 1 pm.