15th November 2023

The Glovers extended their fine consecutive win record to 14 with a 4-2 victory over Farnborough at Huish Park. Rhys Murphy scored the opener before a Jordan Young hat-trick ensured the Glovers collected all three points despite Farnborough’s valiant effort.

After just 4 minutes, Michael Folivi created some space on the edge of the penalty area to have a shot, but his effort flew wide of the post. Moments later, he had another chance, but this time his effort flew over the crossbar, not troubling Joe Day in goal.

On 13 minutes, the Glovers had their first chance of the game as Jordan Young had a shot from range that curled over the crossbar. Soon after, Rhys Murphy had a chance as he latched onto a through ball from Jordan Young before having a shot, but his effort was dragged wide of the post.

Just after 20 minutes, the deadlock was broken. After some patient buildup, Jordan Young clipped the ball through to Rhys Murphy, who turned his man before rolling the ball beyond Jack Turner and into the net.

The Glovers were forced into making an early change when Jake Wannell went down injured. Mark Cooper, already without Alex Whittle due to suspension, brought Zac Bell on to replace Wannell as he moved Michael Smith into the centre-back position.

On 27 minutes, Murphy and Young linked up yet again. This time it was Rhys Murphy who found Jordan Young before he curled his effort just wide of the post. The chances kept coming for the Glovers as Sonny Cox brought the ball forward before unleashing an effort, but his strike flew wide of the post.

On 39 minutes, Ricky Holmes had a chance for Farnborough. He brought the ball forward, twisting and turning, as he tried to find some space to shoot, which he did, but his effort flew over the crossbar.

Moments later, Sonny Blu Lo-Everton had a chance. A cross from Will Dawes ran through to Frank Nouble, who laid the ball to Matt Worthington before rolling the ball into the path of Lo-Everton, who tried to place his effort into the bottom corner but was wide of the goal.

Before the Glovers could dwell on the latest chance, they found a second. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton was the creator of the chance this time as he rolled the ball through to Jordan Young, who, with great composure, took the ball around Turner and slotted the ball in to make it 2-0.

Despite Young’s goal coming on 42 minutes, there was still enough time for Farnborough to find the net themselves. Ricky Holmes intercepted a pass from Michael Smith before finding Folivi, who backheeled the ball into the path of Selim Saied, who made no mistake from six yards out as Farnborough went into the break with just the one-goal deficit.

The second half got off to a more settled start. The first real opportunity came on 53 minutes when Jordan Young arched his free-kick over the wall but was unable to place it on the right side of the crossbar. However, on 59 minutes, Jordan Young did have success from a free-kick and in some spectacular fashion. His free-kick from the right wing was curled in towards the back post and somehow managed to beat everyone, including Jack Turner, who could only watch as the ball crashed off the back post and into the net.

With a two-goal lead restored, the Glovers still pushed forward looking for more. Sonny Cox brought the ball down with a delightful touch before driving down the left wing and squaring the ball to Worthington, who found Murphy, but his ball was overhit as Murphy’s stretching effort was easily saved by Turner. Sonny Cox had a chance of his own minutes later when he drove into the box from a similar position but this time took the shot on, but Jack Turner held onto his strike.

Mark Cooper then looked to the bench as he made his final two changes. Josh Owers was introduced for Rhys Murphy before Jake Hyde joined the action, replacing Sonny Cox. The two substitutes linked up just moments after coming on when Owers put a low cross into Hyde at the front post, but his downward header bounced over the crossbar.

As the clock ticked over into the final 10 minutes of normal time, Farnborough went hunting for a way back into the game. Connor Cullen received the ball following a cross before smashing his strike against the crossbar. After the ball was cleared, it fell to the feet of Jordan Norville-Williams, who struck a driving effort from range, but it was wide of the goal.

Minutes later, Matt Worthington was in the right place at the right time to deny Sid Nelson. The former Glovers’ header was heading towards the bottom corner, but thankfully the captain was there to ensure the score remained at 3-1.

As the game entered additional time, Jordan Young claimed the match ball. Matt Worthington and Frank Nouble worked together to intercept the ball before Worthington slotted the ball into the path of Jordan Young, who sat Jack Turner down before rolling the ball into the empty net to make it 4-1. Jordan Young claiming his first senior hat-trick of his career.

Despite just the three additional minutes, the action still wasn’t over. A misplaced pass from Michael Smith fell into the path of Connor Hall, who simply slotted the ball past Joe Day, who was caught out following the pass, to make it 4-2.

There wasn’t enough time for Farnborough to make any further inroads as shortly after the restart, official Richard Eley brought an end to proceedings, which saw the Glovers claim a 14th consecutive victory and extend their lead at the top of the table to 9 points.