31st January 2024

There was no hesitation from the Glovers as they immediately got back to winning ways with a 3-1 victory against Slough Town. Second-half goals from Matt Worthington, Jordan Young, and Frank Nouble saw the Glovers regain their 13-point lead at the top of the National League South.

With Michael Smith coming off towards the end of Saturday’s draw at St Albans City, many questions were asked about who would step in to cover the Northern Irish defender. Matt Worthington was the answer as he stepped into the backline, which opened an opportunity for Dylan Morgan to get his first start.

It was Dylan Morgan who was first to test Dan Lincoln in the Slough Town goal on 8 minutes. The pacey winger beat two defenders with slick footwork before shooting straight at Lincoln, who parried his effort before collecting the ball. Just moments later, the Glovers were threatening Lincoln’s goal again; a crossfield ball from Jake Wannell was brought down superbly by Jordan Young before he set Worthington through. Matt Worthington, playing the Michael Smith role, placed a ball towards Frank Nouble who got his shot away, but there were plenty of Slough players back to get in the way of the ball.

Slough then had their first chance of the game, and a great chance at that. On 14 minutes, Temi Eweka rose highest following a free kick from the right before heading against the crossbar. Despite this slight scare, it did not stop the Glovers from pushing forward. Sam Pearson had two chances after being put through on goal, but on both occasions, Dan Lincoln was there to rush out and stop the attack.

As the first half headed towards its conclusion, Slough Town were forced into a change as Tyrese Dyce was replaced by Munashe Sundrie after receiving treatment. The final stages were tightly contested, with both teams pushing to get the opening goal, but it remained goalless at the break.

The second half saw the Glovers get off to a flying start. Patient build-up down the right eventually saw Charlie Cooper put in a pinpoint cross that was met by Matt Worthington, who managed to poke the ball into the bottom corner to give the Glovers the lead on 48 minutes.

The start was polar opposite to the second half at St Albans as one very quickly became two when Jordan Young found the net on 54 minutes. Young received the ball on the left wing before driving inside and tucking the ball in just inside the near post to double the Glovers’ advantage.

Shortly after the goal, Mark Cooper looked to his bench to bring on some fresh legs. The first player to be introduced was Olly Thomas, who replaced Dylan Morgan as he got his first minutes since returning to the club for his second loan spell.

On 71 minutes, Slough Town were given a lifeline through Dan Bayliss. A corner was cleared, but Johnny Goddard managed to collect the loose ball on the left before crossing into the danger zone again. This second cross was again cleared but fell to the foot of Slough defender Dan Bayliss, who struck a powerful effort beyond Joe Day. After the goal, Slough had an opportunity to grab an equaliser. A cross from the right was brought down by Nathan Minhas in the box, but before he could pull the trigger, Joe Day was there to smother his effort.

The Glovers made their second change of the evening on 76 minutes. Sam Pearson, who had played a fair amount of minutes since his arrival, made way for Jay Foulston, who played in a more progressive position on the left ahead of Alex Whittle.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, the Glovers were given a golden opportunity to restore their two-goal lead. Jordan Young broke into the penalty area before being bundled over. Neil Pratt did not hesitate to point to the penalty spot, and up stepped Frank Nouble, who calmly and confidently rolled it into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

There was one final change for the Glovers as the game entered additional time. Charlie Cooper, who looked to be struggling in the closing stages, was replaced by Josh Owers.

Despite Slough’s best efforts to try and conjure up a response to the Yeovil goals, the Glovers were able to see the game out and extend their unbeaten run at Huish Park to 20 games.