15th April 2024

The champions made their return home one to remember with a comfortable 3-1 win against Dartford. Goals from Sam Pearson, Dylan Morgan, and Alex Fisher helped make it an afternoon to remember.

Mark Cooper’s men, who had played less than 48 hours earlier, got off to a tricky start when inside 5 minutes Luke Coulson headed in a cross from the right to give Dartford an unexpected lead.

Despite the early setback, the Glovers hit back immediately when Brooklyn Genesini made his way down the right before crossing to Sam Pearson, who poked the ball into the roof of the net before clattering the post. Whilst the supporters celebrated, Pearson was unable to join the celebrations as he required treatment before being able to continue.

With a bruised shoulder, Pearson was in the middle of the action moments later as he forced a great save from Byrne after Frank Nouble cut the ball back to him at 13 minutes. Sam Pearson then cruised down the left wing before curling a cross into the area, but Rhys Byrne was able to collect the ball.

Then it was the turn of Dylan Morgan to cause the Dartford defence some problems. Some great footwork on the edge of the area allowed him to unleash a low effort towards goal, but it was matched by Rhys Byrne on 24 minutes. Down the left wing, Morgan was able to take the ball around his man and lay the ball back to Brooklyn Genesini, who forced a very good save from Byrne, who was keeping Dartford in the game.

On 43 minutes, Dylan Morgan’s hard work paid off. A well-structured build-up involving multiple passes eventually fell to the feet of Dylan Morgan, who drilled a low effort into the bottom corner to put the Glovers ahead with moments left of the first half.

The second half got off to a slow start but sprung into life on 57 minutes when Morgan Williams was taken down by Rhys Byrne after beating him to the ball. Up stepped Frank Nouble in front of the Thatchers Gold Stand, but unfortunately, his effort was saved by Byrne as he dived to his right.

This did not stop the Glovers in their pursuit of killing the game out. Sam Pearson continued to cause chaos in attack as he played the ball through to Alex Fisher. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton came close on 63 minutes when the ball was laid back to him on the edge of the box, but his effort curled agonisingly wide.

The Glovers, after putting a serious amount of pressure on Dartford, finally doubled their lead. The ball was clipped into the area by Charlie Cooper before it was headed into the path of Alex Fisher, who calmly took the ball around Byrne and rolled it into the empty net.

After the goal, Jordan Young was introduced to replace Sam Pearson. Moments later, Young was weaving in between players to make his way into the box before prodding his effort wide. Then the second change came as Dylan Morgan was replaced by Josh Owers to shore up the midfield. The pressure did not stop as the Dartford defence continued to be peppered by Yeovil attacks. Jordan Young had a couple of chances to make it 4-1, but his efforts were off-target.

Then Mark Cooper made his final change with Captain Matt Worthington, who sustained an injury in the closing stages of Thursday’s game, replacing Alex Fisher to a standing ovation.

The Glovers managed to keep pressing throughout the final 3 minutes and as Harry Wager blew the full-time whistle, thousands of supporters streamed onto the pitch in celebration. It meant the Glovers maintained their 9-point gap at the top of the table, surpassing the 90-point mark.