21st February 2024

The Glovers continued their unbeaten run at Huish Park with a hard-fought 2-1 win against Weston-super-Mare. An early goal from Sam Pearson was pegged back before Morgan Williams popped up late on to give the Glovers all three points.

Mark Cooper made a number of changes to the side that dispatched Havant & Waterlooville at the weekend. Jay Foulston replaced Alex Whittle, who was forced off early on Saturday. Changes to the attacking line saw Will Dawes and Jordan Stevens make a start.

Jordan Stevens made an instant impact following his first start since returning from injury when he latched onto a through ball from Michael Smith. Stevens managed to cut the ball back to Sam Pearson, who squeezed it under Max Harris and into the net inside the 1st minute.

The Glovers continued their strong start when Will Dawes poked the ball through to Young, who found Matt Worthington’s feet. Worthington managed to get the ball past Max Harris, but it was blocked by the defender who was tracking back.

Despite the strong start, Weston-super-Mare managed to find an equaliser through Jacob Cane. Cane capitalized on a rare error from Morgan Williams, which left Joe Day stranded as the Weston midfielder lifted it over his head and into the empty net on 23 minutes.

The Glovers almost struck back immediately when Jordan Stevens broke down the right before cutting the ball back to Jordan Young, who dragged his shot just wide of the goal. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton also had a good chance to put the Glovers back ahead on 35 minutes. A cross from Michael Smith was cleared to Lo-Everton, who sliced his volley but had Harris backpedalling as it narrowly spiralled over the bar.

As the first half entered additional time, Lloyd Humphries had a chance to put the Seagulls ahead from a free kick. Dayle Grubb put a free kick into the area, which found Humphries, but he couldn’t hit the target.

The second half saw a fairly dominant start from the Glovers. Sam Pearson had a chance when cutting in from the left before curling his effort high and wide of the goal on 54 minutes. On 56 minutes, Sam Pearson had an opportunity to create a chance as he put a cross in towards Jordan Young, who came flying in but could not get on the end of it.

Jordan Stevens made use of his silky dribbling as he burst between defenders before shooting, but his shot was well blocked by Max Harris. Moments later, Jordan Young created a chance with some smart footwork but ran out of space when he tried to take the ball around Harris inside the area.

Mark Cooper then made three attacking changes in quick succession. Frank Nouble, Dylan Morgan, and Alex Fisher replaced Jordan Stevens, Will Dawes, and Jordan Young to freshen the legs as the Glovers pushed for a winner.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, Frank Nouble made an impressive run from the Yeovil 18-yard box to the Weston 18-yard box before unleashing an effort on his left, which was parried by Harris, who then punched it clear before Alex Fisher could head in the loose ball.

The Glovers then found the lead on 83 minutes. After a free kick from Lo-Everton was flicked behind for a corner, he put in a driving cross which was met by the head of Morgan Williams, whose powerful header was unstoppable for Harris, who failed to keep it out of the net.

The final minutes were tense as Weston pushed everyone forward to try and snatch something from the game. With 5 additional minutes at the end, they even sent Max Harris up for a corner with all 22 players inside the area. However, the Glovers stood firm and ensured they would be taking all three points.

With results going in favour of the Glovers elsewhere, they extended their lead at the top of the table to 13 with Worthing still leading the chasing pack.