22nd March 2022

Yeovil Town made it two wins on the bounce with a 2-1 victory over Bromley at Huish Park.

An early goal from Lawson D’Ath opened the scoring for the Glovers but Bromley pulled a goal back against the run of play.

After an extended spell of pressure, Tom Knowles restored Town’s lead to secure a National League victory at Huish Park.

Darren Sarll made two changes to the Town side which beat Dover Athletic. D’Ath returned to the fold in the place of Jordan Barnett whilst Reuben Reid replaced Adi Yussuf who is currently on international duty. There was also a switch of system for the Glovers back to the diamond midfield.

The change of system seemed to work to perfection, with the Glovers well on-top throughout the first half. It took three minutes for a chance to fall Yeovil’s way. Matt Worthington won the ball high-up and drove into the Bromley half, he then found Reuben Reid who forced a corner with his powerful strike from the edge of the box.

In the 10th minute, Yeovil worked a chance again. A lofted ball down the line released Charlie Wakefield who placed the ball into D’Ath’s path, he set himself well but couldn’t find a finish.

Just one minute later, D’Ath made no mistake to open the scoring. An excellent ball across the box from Knowles gave D’Ath an easy task to poke home the opener.

Yeovil looked the only side likely to score in the first half, and continued applying the pressure. A superb pass from Gorman minutes after the goal found Reid with his back to goal, he turned and forced a strong save from the Bromley keeper.

On his return to the side, Reid looked bright. Great footwork from Reid him worked room in the right channel to provide a dangerous cross with twenty on the clock, but he couldn’t find a Yeovil body with his driven ball.

Having been rested previously against Grimsby, the Glovers seemed to reap the rewards of a revitalised Knowles. The Glovers no.11 took on half the Bromley team and fired a rocket from around 30-yards which flew inches wide.

Completely against the run of play, Bromley equalised in the 25th minute as George Alexander capitalised on Cann’s misjudgement.

This did little to dishearten Town, the bright Reid burst in behind following a pass from Wakefield but his effort was saved once again by Balcombe.

With five minutes of the half remaining, Cann made up for his earlier error, producing a superb stop to deny Alexander as he burst through on goal.

At the break, the Glovers would’ve been the more frustrated of the two sides having created far more chances.

The second half took a little longer for the Glovers to click into gear, but they were the side in the ascendancy once again.

On the hour mark excellent combination between Reid and Wakefield got the duo in behind, Reid then laid the ball back to Gorman who fired over.

Moments later, a superb spell of pressure for Town ended with Staunton forcing a fingertip save from Balcombe.

With twenty to go, Josh Neufville made his return to Huish Park for the first time in ten months, and made an instant impact. In a similar fashion to last season, Neufville found Knowles rushing into the box to restore the Glovers’ lead in the fixture.

Just five minutes later, Knowles won Town a free-kick on the edge of the box, but most in attendance were shocked that he didn’t give a penalty with the goalscorer inside the box when he was fouled.

In the last ten minutes, Bromley upped the pressure, but a number of clearances from substitute skipper Luke Wilkinson ensured the Glovers were the victors at Huish Park.

Yeovil Town: Cann; Little, Barclay, Staunton (Wilkinson), Williams; Staunton, Gorman, D’Ath (Neufville), Knowles; Wakefield (Olomola), Reid

Bookings: Knowles, Gorman, Worthington

Subs not used: Bradley, Barnett.