25th October 2023

The Glovers extended their winning streak with a 2-0 victory against Weymouth in front of a substantial crowd of 6,829, a National League South record, at Huish Park. An early goal from Jordan Young put the Glovers in the lead, and Jake Hyde secured the win deep into second-half stoppage time.

In the 7th minute, Frank Nouble released Matt Worthington, who made a drive into the box, but his low shot was easily collected by Hugo Fisher. However, shortly afterwards, the Glovers found themselves ahead. Jordan Young’s free-kick from the right wing was curled towards the back post and took a deflection, guiding the ball into the bottom corner.

The Glovers continued to press. In the 10th minute, a deep free-kick was picked up by Josh Owers, who lofted the ball towards Rhys Murphy, but Hugo Fisher managed to gather it. The game then settled for a brief period before the Glovers launched another series of attacks.

Jordan Young broke into the box and cut the ball back to Jordan Stevens, who dragged his shot wide of the goal. Michael Smith then created a chance for Jordan Stevens as he advanced down the right flank and pulled it back to Stevens, who once again failed to hit the target.

In the 36th minute, Michael Smith had a chance of his own as he played a nice one-two before seeing his shot deflected wide for a corner. Michael Smith continued his dominant performance down the right flank, delivering a cross towards Frank Nouble, who fired his shot over the bar.

The score remained 1-0 as the halftime whistle blew, with the Glovers enjoying a lot of possession and creating several chances.

The Glovers started the second half with the same attacking intent they had in the first. Jordan Stevens carried the ball forward and had a long-range shot that sailed over the bar in the 49th minute. In the 53rd minute, Josh Owers collected a loose ball and chipped it towards the back post, but Jake Wannell couldn’t keep his shot on target.

With half an hour remaining, the visitors began to create chances of their own. Calvin Brooks rose highest from a corner, but his header sailed into the empty terrace behind the goal. Shortly after, substitute Keelan O’Connell stepped up for a free-kick, which he struck low, but Joe Day collected the ball comfortably.

The Glovers then had opportunities of their own. Frank Nouble leapt at the front post and directed a header towards the goal, which was well saved by Hugo Fisher. The ball then fell to Jordan Young, who found Rhys Murphy, but once again Hugo Fisher was there to claim the ball.

In the 70th minute, substitutions started to roll in. Manager Mark Cooper introduced fresh legs up front, with Jake Hyde and Sonny Cox replacing Frank Nouble and Rhys Murphy. Moments later, Will Dawes came on for Jordan Stevens. During these changes, Dan Roberts had a significant opportunity to equalize for Weymouth as he sent an effort wide at the back post.

The introduction of Hyde and Cox injected new energy into the Glovers’ attack. Immediately, Sonny Cox forced a save from Hugo Fisher, putting the defence on the back foot. At the other end, Joe Day made an important save before Matt Worthington beat his marker to clear the ball away from danger.

In the additional 5 minutes at the end of the 90, the victory was firmly secured. Sonny Cox brought the ball down on the left before breaking into the box and finding Jake Hyde, who managed to find the back of the net. The packed Thatchers Gold Stand erupted in celebration as the players rushed towards the crowd.

Before Weymouth could even contemplate their next move, the referee, Steven Hughes, blew the whistle, ensuring that the majority of the 6,289 spectators left Huish Park in high spirits.