27th August 2023

The Glovers extended their unbeaten run with a fine performance as they beat Tonbridge Angels 2-0 at Huish Park.

Yeovil got off to a fast start when a free kick from the left dropped at the feet of Jake Wannell, but he was unable to get the ball back across the box to create an opportunity. Moments later, Jonathan Henly was called into action when Jake Hyde broke through the Angels’ defence, but the flag had already gone up for offside.

The deadlock was then broken in the 13th minute. Jordan Young received the ball from the right wing, skipped past his man, and drilled it into the bottom left corner. A fantastic moment for the 24-year-old as that marked his first goal in Green and White.

The Glovers looked lively after the goal and were quick to get on the attack again. Matt Worthington was played through with just the keeper ahead of him, but the slippery conditions caused havoc as the ball held up just before he could pull the trigger, and Henly managed to collect. A big shout for a penalty and an even bigger chance fell just before the 20-minute mark when Morgan Williams was hauled over in the box before the ball popped up to Jake Hyde, who could only find the midriff of a sprawling Henly.

Tonbridge then had their first eye at goal. A long free kick into the box from Lewis Gard dropped to Stefan Payne, but the skiddy conditions saw the ball get away from him before he could get his shot away.

Just before the break, Yeovil had another chance to double their lead. Jake Hyde did well to hold the ball up and set Jordan Young through before he clipped the ball across to the back post where Rhys Murphy could not make a good connection with his outstretched right boot.

The second half saw Tonbridge come out with a short burst of chances. A long ball down the right wing fell to Joseph Turner, who struck his shot across the goal but dragged it well wide. The second chance came from Ibrahim Akanbi, who skipped over a challenge when cutting in from the left before firing his shot wide of Will Buse’s right post.

The Glovers then grew into the half when a ball squared across the box found Jordan Young, who fired towards the goal but just over the bar. At the hour mark, it was the unusual effort of Alex Whittle, who latched onto a ball from Jake Hyde, but his shot was well saved by Jonathan Henly, who was keeping the visitors in the game.

Moments later, the Glovers had a golden opportunity to double their lead. Rhys Murphy was hauled over in the box and, unlike the first half, the referee deemed this enough of a foul to point to the spot. Rhys Murphy took responsibility for the penalty, firing down to Henly’s left, but the Tonbridge keeper got a strong glove to the ball to keep Tonbridge in the game.

This sparked Mark Cooper to freshen up the front line with Jake Hyde and Rhys Murphy making way for Frank Nouble and Olly Thomas. Moments later also saw the introduction of Zac Bell for Sonny Blu Lo-Everton.

Just after the changes, Stefan Payne tried his luck when picking up the ball around 25 yards out, but his effort didn’t trouble Will Buse in the Yeovil goal.

The game then settled until deep into injury time when Olly Thomas picked up the ball on the left-hand side before playing a perfectly timed ball to Frank Nouble, who had all the time in the world to drive into the box and double the lead for the Glovers. The goal in the 95th minute was Nouble’s first competitive goal for the Glovers.

With very little time left on the clock, Tonbridge didn’t have time to spark a comeback as the Glovers made sure to complete an unbeaten August at Huish Park, which saw them move up to third.