13th November 2023

The Glovers made it a club record 13 consecutive wins after a dominant 2-0 victory against Dover Athletic. A brace from Sonny Cox helped the Glovers restore a six-point lead at the top of the table.

In the opening stages, Sonny Cox latched onto a loose ball from a tight angle and forced a low save from Billy Terrell, who had a busy afternoon at Huish Park. Moments later, he was called into action again, having to deny Jake Hyde following a free-kick from Jordan Young.

Michael Smith, who had been controlling the right side of the pitch since his arrival, created his first chance of the game as he found Jordan Young with a pinpoint cross. However, Young’s header was always curling wide. On 15 minutes, the pair linked up again; Michael Smith cut the ball back to Jordan Young, who shot from the edge of the box, but his effort was over the bar.

The Glovers kept pressing forward; Matt Worthington had a shot from range, but Billy Terrell was untroubled as it sailed over the crossbar. At 18 minutes, a quick free-kick from Wannell dropped to Jordan Young, who drove into the box before squaring the ball to Jake Hyde. However, his effort was well blocked by Terrell.

During the buildup to that chance, Peter Ojemen fell to the floor while challenging Jordan Young for the ball. Concerning scenes followed as medical personnel from each side and additional assistance rushed over to Ojemen. After some time had passed, Ojemen was placed onto a stretcher and taken to the hospital. We would like to send our best wishes to Peter during his recovery and hope to see him return to the pitch very soon.

Following the restart, the Glovers continued to threaten Billy Terrell’s goal. Michael Smith laid the ball back to Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, who drilled a low effort towards goal but was unable to find the net through the crowd of bodies as it ricocheted away from danger.

On 38 minutes, Will Dawes managed to find the ball at his feet inside the box. As he tried to poke it towards the bottom corner, he was denied by a sprawling Billy Terrell. As the clock ticked over the 45-minute mark, Will Dawes tested Terrell once again. This time he picked the ball up on the edge of the box and drove it towards the same bottom corner, but Terrell was there to collect his effort.

Due to the injury, there were eleven additional minutes at the end of the half. Efforts fell for Jordan Young, Matt Worthington, Sonny Cox, and Michael Smith, but still, the Glovers couldn’t find a much-deserved goal. The chance from Michael Smith forced a very good point-blank save from Billy Terrell, who was surely relieved to hear the halftime whistle.

The second half saw the Glovers continue to keep Dover on the back foot. A quick free-kick from Will Dawes at 52 minutes gave Jake Hyde a chance at the back post, but his effort was headed wide. Moments later, the deadlock was finally broken. Will Dawes’ initial effort was saved by Billy Terrell, but he pushed the ball into the path of Jake Hyde, who cut the ball back to Sonny Cox, blasting in his first goal for the club.

Less than 10 minutes later, Sonny Cox had the ball in the net again. Jake Hyde flicked a cross back to Sonny Cox, who drilled an effort in, but the flag was up for an offside in the buildup. Cox then came close on 70 minutes as he progressed forward before curling an effort just wide of the post. Mark Cooper then looked to the bench to alter his attacking line. Rhys Murphy entered the field to replace Jake Hyde.

On 77 minutes, Sonny Cox bagged his second of the afternoon. A low cross from Will Dawes was cleared but only as far as Sonny Cox, who drilled it into the far corner to double the Glovers’ lead.

Further changes came from the bench as Frank Nouble was introduced for Jordan Young just after the goal. Minutes later, Rhys Murphy had a chance to put the game well beyond reach, but his shot was well saved by Terrell.

Inside the final five minutes, Sonny Cox had a couple of chances to claim the match ball, but both chances from the Exeter loanee were collected by Billy Terrell. As the additional minutes ticked over, the official brought an end to proceedings and secured all three points and a club record 13 wins for the Glovers.