12th October 2021

Joe Quigley’s second half strike was not enough for Yeovil Town as they drew to Altrincham at Huish Park.

After a goalless first half which saw Altrincham goalkeeper Anthony Thompson replaced by outfielder Connor Hampson, the Glovers struck ahead through Quigley just before the hour mark as he turned the ball beyond the makeshift goalkeeper.

Less than ten minutes later, the visitors levelled through former Glover A Jay Leitch-Smith. Adding salt into the wounds, the Glovers would have two goals not given after the ball seemingly crossed the line after dangerous corners.

After a lack of attacking threat against Notts County, Darren Sarll looked to add some attacking impetus against the Robins. Grant Smith began in goal, whilst forward-thinking full-back Jordan Barnett started at the left side of defence. Max Hunt partnered Josh Staunton in the centre back roles whilst Dan Moss started at right-back.

Dale Gorman and Matt Worthington started once again in central midfield, whilst there was an increase in attacking numbers, with Tom Knowles, Adi Yussuf, Quigley and Ben Seymour all starting, looking to break the Glovers’ goal drought.

After waiting almost 80 minutes for an opening on Saturday, Town waiting just one on Tuesday evening. Yussuf and Quigley combined outside the box but the Glovers no.10 got too much under his effort, sending the ball flying over the bar.

In the opening stages, Knowles’ throw ins caused havoc for the Alty defence, his throw in the third minute was only cleared as far as Gorman, his header found Yussuf who forced a save from Thompson.

Looking to mix things up, Knowles went short with his throw in less than five minutes later, combining with Gorman as the wide-man sent a deep delivery into the box. The cross was met by Yussuf who flicked the ball into Quigley but he hooked his effort over the bar.

In the 8th minute, Yeovil were a whisker away from the lead as the ball fell to Knowles 25-yards from goal who hammered an effort narrowly wide.

After an extended break in play, Altrincham were forced into a change between the sticks as Thompson was replaced by left-back Hampson as the visitors had no goalkeeper on the bench.

Looking to take advantage, Town flooded the box on set-plays, and it almost paid off on 18 minutes as ball dropped to Yussuf in the box but a superb save from the stand-in goalkeeper kept the game level.

With the three forwards operating in central roles, the width came from the full-backs for Yeovil. Moss beat his marker on the right flank and found Yussuf, but after his initial effort was blocked, Altrincham were able to clear their lines.

On the verge of half-time, Town had their best chance to open the scoring. Barnett’s in-swinging corner was met by Staunton who was unmarked, but he couldn’t quite direct his header on-target.

Starting the second half with intent, Yeovil forced an opening in the first minute, as Worthington hammered an effort from the edge of the box, forcing a corner.

Testing the makeshift goalkeeper would’ve been on the agenda at the break, with the Glovers capitalising in the 57th minute through Quigley. Gorman sent a stinging free-kick on target which Hampson spilled, only for Quigley to turn the ball home.

However, just seven minutes later Yeovil Town were dealt a sucker-punch as Leitch-Smith capitalised on a lapse in concentration to poke the ball beyond Smith.

Looking for a route back into the game. A corner caused havoc in the Altrincham box, and after a cluster of bodies attempted to put the ball in the back of the net and claims from multiple Yeovil players and fans that the ball crossed, the visitors ushered the ball wide.

Just four minutes later, Gorman’s corner found Hunt who drilled an effort on goal but a heroic block kept the game level.

With five minutes to go, Staunton thought he’d headed Town ahead, as the ball seemingly dropped over the line once again, but the referee was unmoved.

Ultimately it was a draw for Town who will be looking to bounce back in a huge FA Cup clash with Weymouth.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Moss (Bradley), Hunt, Staunton, Barnett; Gorman, Worthington (Robinson), Knowles (Wakefield); Quigley, Yussuf, Seymour.

Subs not used: Evans, Lo-Everton