11th December 2021

Yeovil Town’s unbeaten run was extended to ten games as Adi Yussuf’s early header proved to be the deciding factor.

Taking the lead with less than ten minutes played, the Glovers thoroughly deserved their three points, effectively keeping an in-form Barnet side at arms-length.

In the closing stages, the visitors made Town’s afternoon an easier one, being reduced to ten-men for a routine victory in South Somerset.

Darren Sarll named an unchanged side following victory over Stevenage. This meant Grant Smith retained his place in goal, with Dan Moss, Luke Wilkinson, Max Hunt & Morgan Williams ahead of him. The midfield three consisted of Dale Gorman, Matt Worthington and Josh Staunton, whilst Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, Charlie Wakefield and Yussuf combined in the forward roles.

Gorman’s deliveries proved to be an extremely useful asset in the first half, leading to a number of attacking chances. With just five minutes on the clock, Gorman’s delivery was met by Adi Yussuf who saw his half-volley palmed onto the crossbar by Aston Oxborough.

Just shy of the tenth minute mark, the Glovers’ positive start was rewarded with a goal. Gorman’s cross on his weaker left-foot was met by Yussuf who headed beyond Oxborough to open the scoring.

Following the goal, the game became very stop, start. A number of fouls in the middle of the pitch disrupting the flow of the game.

It took until the 37th minute for another chance to fall Town’s way. Once again Gorman posed a threat, as his free-kick delivery was met by Yussuf who saw his header fly wide.

As the second half got underway, it began in a similar vein to how the first finished, with chances few and far between. The referee found himself in the centre of the action, letting a number of heavy challenges by Reiss Greenridge go without punishment, much to the frustration of the Yeovil supporters and Yussuf who had been on the receiving end of them.

Despite the visitors needing a leveller, Town looked most likely to extend their advantage. Watford loanee Lo-Everton went close with 70 minutes on the clock. With no support, he drove into the box alone but could only find the side netting with his strike.

Hunt will feel he should’ve added a second for the Glovers, he was found free at the back-post by Gorman but he headed straight into Oxborough’s gloves.

In the closing stages, the Bees, who in truth had little sting throughout the majority of the game, did begin to pose a threat. In the 84th minute, Rob Hall’s set-piece into the box before it found Richards-Everton whose goalbound effort was blocked by Staunton.

With a matter of minutes to go, Barnet were reduced to ten. An off-the-ball incident between Gorman and Ephron Mason-Clark saw the latter receive his marching orders, along with yellow cards for the entire coaching staff for the visitors.

This meant the closing stages could be played in Yeovil’s favour, as the Glovers moved to within two points of the play-off spots.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Moss, Hunt, Wilkinson, Williams; Gorman (Bradley), Staunton, Worthington; Lo-Everton, Wakefield (Reid), Yussuf (Knowles)

Bookings: Gorman, Williams, Lo-Everton, Bradley

Subs not used: Evans