23rd October 2023

The Glovers continued their fine run of form with a late 2-1 win away to Worthing. Matt Worthington found the net early on before Morgan Williams fired in a stoppage-time header to secure all three points.

Worthing were the first to get forward early on when Joel Colbran put a cross in from the right, but Joe Day was prepared to claim the cross.

Soon after, the Glovers put their stamp on the game. With the first attack, Will Dawes progressed forward with the ball before finding Rhys Murphy. Murphy then homed in on goal, forcing a save from Roco Rees, but his parry could only fall to the feet of Matt Worthington, who poked the ball into the net on 8 minutes.

Worthing then responded with an attack. Nick Wheeler progressed down the right and crossed, but it was cleared before he had another opportunity. However, the Glovers’ defense held firm.

The Glovers then looked to further their goal advantage. Rhys Murphy brought down the ball well before trying to find the overlapping Jordan Young, who was unable to get hold of the ball. Jordan Young then became the provider with a deep free kick, which found Jake Wannell, who flicked it across to Rhys Murphy, but he was unable to find the net.

On 34 minutes, Ollie Pearce had an opportunity when he turned his man and shot, but Morgan Williams was there to get in the way of the shot. Moments later, the Glovers had a huge shout for a penalty. Rhys Murphy brought the ball down nicely on the edge of the box before squeezing between two defenders but was dragged back. However, the official was not interested in the appeals.

On the brink of half-time, Matt Worthington had another shot at goal, which was blocked but almost ricocheted in at the near post. Fortunately for Roco Rees in the Worthing goal, it crept the other side of the post and against the side-netting.

The second half saw the Glovers come out with the intent of wrapping the game up. Jake Wannell had an early effort following a Jordan Young corner but was unable to guide his header on target. Matt Worthington then had a huge chance on 55 minutes when his shot cannoned off the post via the fingertips of Rees. Frank Nouble and Jordan Young then saw low efforts from range have Roco Rees scrambling towards the right post but just evading the goal.

Then, Mark Cooper looked to the bench. Jordan Stevens came on to replace Rhys Murphy, who had put in a strong shift in the opening 68 minutes. Soon after the changes, it was Jordan Young who had a chance when receiving the ball off Will Dawes. Young progressed forward and shot, but his effort was over the crossbar. Substitute Jordan Stevens then had a chance of his own. Latching onto the end of a ball from Michael Smith, Stevens cut inside and had a go, but his effort was blocked by the outstretched foot of the Worthing defender.

Worthing then looked to try and get back into the game and level the scoring. On 79 minutes, Ricky Aguiar had a shot from range that caught the attention of Joe Day as it curled just wide of the right post. Then, Worthing had a golden opportunity to level the match. Jake Wannell was adjudged to have fouled Joel Colbran in an aerial battle, and the official pointed to the spot.

After a short delay, where Will Dawes came off for Zac Bell after receiving treatment, Ollie Pearce stepped up and drilled his penalty down the middle to make it 1-1 with 4 minutes left of normal time.

With 9 minutes of injury time put up, there was still plenty of time for either side to grab all three points. After a nervy few minutes, Jordan Maguire-Drew was introduced for Michael Smith with 6 minutes of the minimum additional time left to play. It was Maguire-Drew deep into stoppage time who would play a pivotal role in the winner.

On 97 minutes, Jordan Maguire-Drew won a free kick on the right as his cross was blocked via an arm, and the referee gave a free kick. Bodies packed the Worthing box, one of those being Morgan Williams. After everyone had got into position, Maguire-Drew put in a beautiful cross, which found the head of Morgan Williams, who drilled it past a hopeless Roco Rees, sending the packed away fans into euphoria.

Worthing then had one final chance as Ricky Aguiar stood over a free kick and looked to find the corner, but Joe Day got across and made a brilliant diving save to maintain the Glovers’ lead. The resulting corner saw Rees progress up the pitch to join the packed box, but the corner was played too deep, allowing the official to bring the game to an end and secure the Glovers would leave Sussex with all three points.