1st May 2021

Yeovil Town secured a victory on the road for the first time since early March as Darren Sarll’s side beat Wealdstone at Grosvenor Vale.

First half goals from Tom Knowles and Joe Quigley separated the two sides

Darren Sarll named an unchanged side after a comfortable victory over Solihull Moors. That meant, Adam Smith remained in goal, with a back four of Michael Kelly, Billy Sass-Davies, Albi Skendi and Carl Dickinson ahead of him. 

Sticking with the midfield diamond, Charlie Lee started at the base, with Jimmy Smith, Tom Knowles, and Chris Dagnall further forward. 

Luton loanee Josh Neufville partnered hat-trick hero Joe Quigley up front. 

On the bench for Town, there was a return from injury for Alex Bradley, whilst Reuben Reid, Max Hunt, Emmanuel Sonupe and Max Evans all waited in the wings. 

Picking up where they left off against the Moors, it was one-way traffic throughout the first half. With Town’s first chance falling in the second minute as Sass-Davies headed wide from Dickinson’s free-kick.

Just three minutes later, Quigley almost opened the scoring as he burst through the left channel, but a heroic block denied the towering forward.

With both sides occupying the lower reaches of the disciplinary table, it was no surprise to see temper flare, as Lee and former Glover Connor Smith became the first players in the referee’s book.

On fifteen minutes, Town opened the scoring via a rocket from Knowles. As the ball fell to the former Cambridge man at the edge of the box, he released a lethal effort for a deserved opener.

With the wind in Town’s sails, one became two on 23 minutes as Quigley struck for the fourth time in two games, making the most of relentless pressure and pouncing on Kelly’s blocked shot with a cool finish beyond Jake Askew.

In truth, the hosts looked a shell of the side which held Yeovil at Huish Park in October, looking blunt in attack, and weak at the back.

Sarll would’ve been disappointed not to see his side three goals to the good at the break, with Knowles close to doubling his tally after another thunderous strike, this time on the volley flew narrowly wide of Askew’s goal.

The second half saw a much more even affair, with Wealdstone pressing for a route back into the game.

Despite a lack of clear-cut chances for the hosts, Wealdstone did have a penalty shout waved away after Sass-Davies left a leg in on Charlee Hughes.

That being said, Yeovil Town could also feel hard-done-by on the penalty front, with Sass-Davies himself being seemingly fouled in the area.

After a difficult first half, young goalkeeper Askew will be pleased with his second half performance, with two stunning saves in the space of two minutes, denying Sass-Davies and Quigley who got on the end of Dickinson’s corners.

As the half ticked on and legs tired, Neufville and his driving runs grew into the game even more, as he almost combined with substitute Reid but some last ditch defending blocked his effort.

The closing stages saw a welcome return for Alex Bradley in the place of Neufville, taking a midfield position he is yet to play for the Glovers.

Ultimately, Town’s scintillating first half performance was enough to secure a well-earned three points in West London.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Sass-Davies, Skendi, Kelly; Lee, J.Smith, Knowles (Sonupe), Dagnall, Neufville (Bradley); Quigley (Reid).

Bookings: Lee, Quigley, Dagnall, Skendi. 

Subs not used:  Hunt, Evans.