12th April 2024

It was a night to remember for everyone involved with Yeovil Town as they secured promotion back to the National League with a 2-0 win against Truro City. Goals from Rhys Murphy and Alex Fisher meant the party could begin for the Glovers.

Mark Cooper made a number of changes to the side that played on Saturday, with Jordan Stevens, Michael Smith, and Rhys Murphy returning to the starting lineup. The trio, who had been returning, helped the Glovers get off to a strong start when, in the 7th minute, Frank Nouble got himself into a great position to cross from the right, but it was turned behind for a corner.

Unfortunately for Jordan Stevens, his evening was short-lived as moments later, he went down after feeling his hamstring and was forced to be replaced by Jordan Young. In the 12th minute, the nerves of the travelling Glovers subsided as a neat cross from Charlie Cooper was powered in by the head of Rhys Murphy!

The Glovers’ injury woes worsened when Rhys Murphy went down just moments after the goal and then was replaced by Alex Fisher on 16 minutes.

Despite the early changes, this didn’t stop the forward pressing from the Glovers. Another great cross from Charlie Cooper was met by the substitute, Alex Fisher, but somehow James Hamon was able to keep the ball out of the net with a point-blank save. On 28 minutes, Matt Worthington created space as he brought the ball forward before shooting, but his effort, which had Hamon scrambling, fell just wide of the post.

It was looking likely that the Glovers would be making their 3rd change of the evening before the break when Michael Smith had to receive treatment in the 33rd minute. Thankfully, the physio team worked their magic, and he was able to continue.

The game settled slightly until the game entered additional time. Ryan Kavanagh found space in the 2nd minute of the 6 additional minutes just outside of the area, but his effort was saved by Joe Day. Moments later, Charlie Cooper had a chance from a free kick, which was well-hit, but his effort struck the wall and went out for a corner. The resulting set piece was met by Jake Wannell at the back post but was blocked on the line before being cleared away.

With the Glovers going in ahead at the break, it was audibly clear that the travelling Glovers were very much enjoying their evening.

On 50 minutes, Alex Fisher had a chance to double the lead as the ball sat up nicely for him before striking it towards goal, but it was saved by James Hamon. Moments later, Fisher went one better! Jordan Young and Michael Smith linked up well down the right in vintage style before Smith found the head of Alex Fisher who squeezed it into the bottom corner!

With the party well and truly underway behind the goal, it was Young and Michael Smith linked up together as the Glovers almost grabbed a third. A deep cross from Jordan Young was met by Michael Smith who struck his effort just wide.

With just over 20 minutes left on the clock, Truro City went hunting to try and get a hold of the game as Ryan Brett found the arms of Joe Day. Moments later, it was the captain who had to be replaced when he felt a slight twinge, with Dylan Morgan coming on.

As the match drew towards its conclusion, Charlie Cooper had a chance from a free kick which went just wide of the post and into the crowd of Green poised to enter the field of play in celebrations.

As the minutes ticked by and the game entered additional time, the Glovers held firm with their impressive defensive display to keep their clean sheet intact and confirm an immediate return to the National League.