26th December 2020

Yeovil Town produced a disappointing performance on Boxing Day with a 6-1 defeat to Torquay United.

The game was largely over as a contest after twenty minutes with goals from Armani Little, Danny Wright and Connor Lemonheigh-Evans building a comfortable lead for the hosts.

Despite a second half consolation through Albi Skendi, Torquay would continue to dominate to claim a deserved victory at Plainmoor.

After 18 days away from action, Darren Sarll made just two changes to his Glovers side.

Adam Smith held his number one spot, but there was a change in front of him as Max Hunt made his debut at centre back alongside Gabriel Osho. Dan Leadbitter and Carl Dickinson began at full back.

The midfield was unchanged from Town’s victory over Bromley, with Charlie Lee, Albi Skendi, Matt Warburton and Emmanuel Sonupe all starting.

Chris Dagnall returned to the starting side alongside Joe Quigley.

Yeovil did very little to inspire the supporters watching from home in the first half, falling behind after just five minutes with Armani Little striking home a free kick from the edge of the box.

The hosts lightning start continued as on nine minutes Ben Whitfield found Wright with the freedom of the box to turn home a second.

Things went from bad to worse on 20 minutes as former Bristol City man Lemonheigh-Evans headed home a third for the Gulls.

With his side second best in almost every department, Sarll turned to the bench in the search for firepower as Warburton was replaced by Courtney Duffus.

The attacking switch did little to spark an attacking fire for Town, with Torquay adding a fourth just two minutes later on 37 minutes through Aaron Nemane who capitalised on A.Smith’s lapse of concentration.

The second half saw Yeovil enjoy their single spell of positivity, on 47 minutes, Quigley powered through on goal but could only find the upright. Just moments later, Yeovil did earn a consolation as Skendi bundled the ball home.

Just as Yeovil looked to be mounting some pressure, Torquay restored their four-goal advantage with Lemonheigh-Evans added his second of the afternoon with a calm finish beyond A.Smith.

Ultimately, it was an afternoon where Yeovil just didn’t turn up, with Gary Johnson’s Torquay adding the cherry on top of the cake on 83 minutes through captain Kyle Cameron who flicked a header beyond Smith to extend the Gulls’ advantage.

With games coming thick and fast, Yeovil will have to dust themselves down quickly with Aldershot Town visiting Huish Park on Monday afternoon.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Leadbitter, Osho, Hunt, Dickinson; Lee (D’Ath), Skendi, Warburton (Duffus), Sonupe; Quigley, Dagnall (Knowles)

Bookings: Lee, Dickinson, Sonupe, Leadbitter  

Subs not used: Worthington, Palmer.


Torquay United: MacDonald, Cameron, Warren, Lemonheigh-Evans, Wright, Little, Randell, Sherring, Moxey, Nemane, Whitfield.

Subs: Kerr, Andrews, Buse, Covolan, Umerah.