27th December 2021

A second half collapse from saw Yeovil Town fall to a 3-0 defeat on Boxing Day Torquay United.

After a rather even first 45 minutes, Sonny Blu Lo-Everton was given his marching orders which saw the tide turn in the Gulls’ favour.

Three goals from the home side followed, as Yeovil’s unbeaten streak came to an end.

After a victory against Woking in the FA Trophy, Darren Sarll returned to the side which beat Barnet in Town’s last National League match. This meant Grant Smith started in goal, with Dan Moss, Luke Wilkinson, Max Hunt & Morgan Williams ahead of him.

Josh Staunton, Dale Gorman and Matt Worthington began as our familiar midfield three, with Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, Charlie Wakefield and Adi Yussuf leading the line.

Recent clashes with Torquay have proved intense affairs, and this was no different, with a number of heavy challenges flying in from the off.

Despite the heavy challenges, chances were at a premium. Torquay did enjoy a lot of the ball, but the first chance of the game fell Yeovil’s way, as Wakefield fired from the edge of the box, forcing a save from Shaun MacDonald.

At the other end, Lapslie had Torquay’s first chance, firing from the edge of the box but the angle proved too difficult to force a save from Smith.

On the 30 minute mark, Yeovil produced the best chance of the half, with Worthington digging a cross from under his feet to find Yussuf who did well to adjust his body but saw his header fly just wide of the post.

The closing stages of the half saw the Gulls press deep into the Yeovil half, winning a number of attacking set-pieces, but at the break, Smith had been left largely untested.

In the early stages of the second half, Yeovil began the brighter of the two sides, and should’ve scored on 48 minutes. Gorman’s corner was met by Williams who did excellently to head back across goal, however the follow-ups from both Yussuf and Wilkinson did little to threaten Torquay.

On the hour mark, Town were the masters of their own downfall as Lo-Everton was sent off for afters with George Lapslie, and it only took two minutes for Torquay to make their man advantage count. Despite an allure of offside, Ben Wynter poked the ball home to open the scoring.

It should’ve been a matter of keeping their heads for the Yeovil side, but frustratingly that wasn’t the case as Moss picked up a yellow card which will see him suspended for the return fixture.

With twenty to go, Jack Sparke’s shot took a fatal deflection off an unfortunate Williams to double Torquay’s advantage.

Despite some poor decision making, Yeovil did look for more opportunities, with Worthington spurning a one-on-one chance that he was gifted by MacDonald as the game entered its final 15 minutes.

In the closing stages, Joe Lewis added a third to compile a miserable day at the office for Yeovil Town.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Moss, Wilkinson, Hunt, Williams (Reid); Staunton, Gorman (Barnett), Worthington; Lo-Everton, Wakefield, Yussuf (Knowles).

Bookings: Yussuf, Worthington, Moss, Wilkinson, Gorman.

Reds: Lo-Everton, Smith (After FT)

Subs not used: Evans, Headley