8th November 2023

The Glovers extended their impressive winning streak with a commanding 3-1 victory over Torquay United. Goals from Frank Nouble, Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, and Jake Hyde marked their 12th consecutive win.

Yeovil started the game strongly when Sonny Cox threaded a pass to Rhys Murphy, who managed to take a shot but pulled it wide of the post just four minutes into the match. On the 13th minute, Jordan Young put the Torquay defence on the back foot by dribbling past them and attempting a shot, but his effort was blocked.

Rhys Lovett had to stay alert when Morgan Williams forced him into a low save after a corner, although the referee had already blown the whistle for a foul in the build-up. Shortly before the 20-minute mark, Michael Smith did well on the right to deliver a cross to Sonny Cox, who headed the ball towards the goal, but his looping header narrowly missed the target.

Then the deadlock was broken. Frank Nouble seized upon a precise through ball from Rhys Murphy and poked it beyond Rhys Lovett to give Yeovil a 1-0 lead. Moments later, Michael Smith breached the defence on the right and, like Nouble’s goal, attempted to poke the ball past Lovett, but the goalkeeper managed to make a slight touch to deny Yeovil from doubling their lead.

The hosts struggled to create opportunities, and on the 30-minute mark, Dean Moxey tried his luck from 30 yards out, catching the attention of Joe Day, but the shot flew wide of the post.

Despite this chance, Yeovil continued to press forward. Rhys Murphy had an opportunity from a free kick, managing to clear the wall but unable to place the ball beneath the crossbar. Then, the lead was extended as Sonny Blu Lo-Everton collected the ball in midfield and found space to shoot, drilling it beyond Lovett and into the bottom corner.

While the travelling Glovers’ fans were still celebrating the goal, Brad Ash had a golden opportunity to halve the deficit as he picked up a loose ball and rounded Joe Day, but he somehow sent his shot over the crossbar.

The last chance of the half fell to Rhys Murphy, who eluded a couple of challenges before taking a shot, but he couldn’t find the target. So, Yeovil entered the halftime break with a comfortable two-goal lead and no real threat from the hosts.

In the second half, Torquay created the first chance when Ross Marshall rose highest to meet a cross but headed it over and into the stands behind the goal. On the hour mark, Torquay managed to pull one back as Brett McGavin struck an impressive shot that eluded Joe Day and nestled into the bottom corner.

Despite the goal, Yeovil didn’t seem shaken as they looked to regain their two-goal lead. Jordan Young broke through the Torquay defence and forced a fantastic save from Rhys Lovett, a chance that Young will be frustrated he didn’t finish. Then, Matt Worthington came close, picking up the loose ball following a Jordan Young free kick and firing a low volley just wide of the post.

Manager Mark Cooper then sought to inject fresh attacking impetus. Rhys Murphy was substituted for Jake Hyde on 64 minutes, and on 68 minutes, Hyde came very close to getting himself on the scoresheet as he forced an impressive save from Rhys Lovett. The resulting corner saw Jake Hyde find the back of the net, all but sealing the win for Yeovil. Jordan Young’s corner was perfectly met by Hyde, who rose and, with a powerful header, beat Lovett in the Torquay goal to make it 3-1.

A couple more changes saw Jordan Stevens and Will Dawes introduced for the hardworking Sonny Cox and Jordan Young as Yeovil looked to see out the game. The two substitutes combined in the final 10 minutes, with Stevens passing the ball to Dawes, but he sent his effort wide of the post.

Despite Torquay’s efforts to mount an attack, they were no match for the solid Yeovil defence, which held strong throughout the evening. As the final whistle echoed around Plainmoor, the travelling Glovers supporters had their 12th consecutive win to celebrate as they made the journey back to Somerset.