18th March 2024

The Glovers steadied their recent downturn in form with a solid point away from home against an in-form Slough Town. With it ending goalless at Arbour Park, this extended the hosts’ unbeaten run at home to 19 games.

Ahead of kick-off, Mark Cooper’s side were boosted with the arrivals of Jahmari Clarke and Brooklyn Genesini, who both joined on loan. Genesini went straight into the starting lineup with Mark Cooper opting for wing-backs and a back three of Foulston, Williams, and Wannell.

Alex Fisher spearheaded the attack alongside Frank Nouble, and it was Fisher who had the first glimpse at goal in the 3rd minute. A ball over the top dropped nicely for Fisher, who tried to loft it over Dan Lincoln, but his effort was wide of the post.

On 11 minutes, Frank Nouble rolled the ball into the path of Jordan Stevens, who managed to get a shot off from range, but his vicious strike was deflected over the crossbar. The resulting corner from Jay Foulston was met by Jake Wannell, but his header looped up into the hands of Lincoln.

Slough had a good chance themselves in the 20th minute. Matt Lench’s corner was cleared straight back out to him before he drove inside and unleashed a strike which was headed clear by Alex Fisher.

After resisting a brief period of pressure, it was back to attacks for the Glovers. Alex Fisher brought the ball down nicely and drove into the penalty area from the left before pulling the trigger, but his effort was well blocked by Dan Bayliss.

With the half drawing to a close, Matt Worthington and Jay Foulston both had chances at goal, but neither troubled Dan Lincoln as both sides went into the break level.

The second half saw Slough step into the game a bit more. Despite an early free-kick from Charlie Cooper being cleared behind by Scott Davies, it was Davies himself who had the best chance early on at the end from a free-kick, but his strike was over the bar.

Just before the hour mark, Matt Worthington was able to find Jordan Stevens who strode forward before shooting, but he fired over the crossbar. This was to be Stevens’ last action of the game as he was replaced by Jahrami Clarke, whose arrival from Reading on loan was announced a few hours before kick-off.

The introduction of Jahmari Clarke proved to be a positive one with his burst of energy. Shortly after, Mark Cooper was forced into a second change when Alex Whittle went down injured and had to be replaced by Jordan Young.

Jordan Young was straight into the action when his corner in the 68th minute was met by Jake Wannell, who headed over the crossbar. Clarke’s energy continued to help the Glovers push forward with a number of dangerous balls across the box just missing that finishing touch.

The final change came with just over 10 minutes remaining as Alex Fisher was replaced by Sam Pearson, with another change aimed to give the attack some fresh legs to try and get a winner. Despite Slough spending most of the final 10 minutes on the back foot, it was Josh Jackman who had the best chance at the other end, shooting wide of Joe Day’s goal.

With 6 additional minutes at the end, the Glovers continued to push for a crucial goal but to no avail as the game finished goalless, but a point gained on the road.