23rd October 2021

Yeovil Town fell to a defeat in Northeast Lincolnshire as league leaders Grimsby Town were the 2-0 victors at Blundell Park. 

Despite an even share of chances, the hosts were the more clinical, taking the lead from the spot in the first half through Lenell John-Lewis. 

The second half saw Yeovil apply a vast amount of pressure, but to no avail as the hosts were able to put the result beyond doubt in the final moments through John McAtee. 

Darren Sarll named an unchanged team from the Glovers’ FA Cup victory over Weymouth. That meant Grant Smith began in goal, with Dan Moss, Josh Staunton, Max Hunt and Jack Robinson in front of him. 

Jordan Barnett began in a midfield role once again, alongside Dale Gorman and Matt Worthington, whilst Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, Joe Quigley and Charlie Wakefield started as a front three. 

Chances were few and far between in the first half, with neither keeper enduring a busy afternoon. 

The first chance in Yeovil’s favour came in the 12th minute as Staunton, who was forward from an attacking free-kick hooked an effort over from the edge of the box.

With the two sides largely cancelling the other out, it always looked like a mistake could lead to a goal, and that came to fruition in the 19th minute as Smith mistimed his dive to feet, giving away a penalty which John-Lewis converted. 

Not to be deterred, Town continued to plug away, finding success on the left-flank with Wakefield and Barnett combining well, but neither could find a threatening delivery. 

Yeovil had a penalty shout of their own with 24 minutes on the clock, as Milwall loanee Moss burst into the box but the referee remained unmoved. 

As the half entered its dying stages, Yeovil enjoyed the majority of the ball, but couldn’t quite find the final pass, leading to efforts from distance which did little to threaten. 

Despite leading, the hosts started to really test the green and whites’ backline in the second half. On 49 minutes, Smith was forced to make a save as John-Lewis combined with Harry Clifton who had his goalbound effort palmed wide by the Yeovil no.1. 

Down at the other end, Wakefield capitalised on a lapse in concentration, driving into the box and forcing a corner with his dangerous delivery. The resulting corner caused havoc in the Grimsby defensive ranks, despite Max Hunt mistiming his header, the ball dropped dead in the box, but there was no Yeovil player there to touch the ball into the back of the net.

A continued thorn in Yeovil’s side, John-Lewis muscled his way into the box from a throw-in, and after firing from a tight angle his effort hit the side netting.

With just over 20 minutes to go, John-Lewis should have doubled his tally for the afternoon. After Clifton combined well with John McAtee he put the ball on a plate for John-Lewis who somehow missed from three-yards-out.

As the clock ticked on, Yeovil began to force the ball into the Grimsby half. A hopeful pass to Wakefield found the Yeovil no.19 in behind, but a last-ditch challenge stopped him in his tracks.

On 83 minutes, the ball fell kindly to Worthington after Gorman’s pass was blocked, his effort snuck through bodies but flew narrowly wide.

Despite all the Glovers endeavour, it wasn’t until the 85th minute that James McKeown had work to do in net. Gorman arrowed a free-kick on target but he was equal to his efforts. 

With a matter of moments to go, Grimsby doubled their advantage as McAtee had the freedom of the area to pick his spot and secure three points for the league leaders.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Moss, Hunt, Staunton; Robinson; Gorman, Worthington, Barnett (Simper), Lo-Everton (Knowles), Quigley (Yussuf), Wakefield 

Bookings: Gorman

Nott used: Evans, Dyer