12th February 2022

Yeovil Town were held to a goalless draw by Eastleigh at the Silverlake Stadium.

Despite enjoying much of the ball, the Glovers struggled to create enough openings to score what would’ve been the winning goal.

On the balance of play, both sides will likely look back on a point as a fair result.

Darren Sarll made three changes to the side that fell to a defeat at Wealdstone. Grant Smith remained in goal, with Mark Little returning to the defence alongside Luke Wilkinson, Ben Barclay and Morgan Williams.

Jordan Barnett made his return to the starting side in the midfield alongside Dale Gorman and Josh Staunton. Tom Knowles and Charlie Wakefield began in the wide positions.

Leading the line was Olufela Olomola, who was making his third Yeovil Town debut.

The first half saw Yeovil enjoy a vast amount of the ball, but a similar tale to much of the season so far, struggled to find a way to utilise it.

Chances largely fell out of individuals decision to take the onus upon the game, with Knowles forcing the save of the half from McDonnell in the 10th minute after firing from the edge of the box.

The hosts cut increasingly frustrated figures, as they continued to attempt to hit Town on the counter, only to be called offside on a number of occasions.

With neither side really threatening, it took until first half stoppage time for the only clear cut chance of the half to fall. After Eastleigh failed to clear their lines, Gorman pounced and found Olomola who hammered his strike over the bar.

It was more of the same in the second half as chances continued to be at a premium, despite the hosts claiming back some of the possession.

Glovers supporters were left waiting until the 67th minute to see their side create another a clear sight of goal. Gorman’s corner was sent to the far post and met by the skipper who headed back across goal to Barclay who saw his header strike the bar.

With ten minutes to go, the game burst into life, an excellent counter attack spearheaded by Wakefield saw the no.19 force a save from McDonnell. In the aftermath, Ryan Hill punched Knowles and somehow escaped punishment with a yellow card after five minutes of discussions.

Eastleigh looked most likely to grab a winner in the dying embers of the game, but Smith remained untested, with Town holding on for a point on the road.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Little, Wilkinson, Barclay, Williams; Staunton, Gorman, Barnett (Yussuf); Knowles (Bradley), Olomola (Lo-Everton), Wakefield

Bookings: Gorman, Knowles

Subs not used: Reid, Evans