22nd November 2023

The Glovers extended their unbeaten run in the league to 12 games; however, they left Hardenhuish Park slightly frustrated after a Morgan Williams own goal late in the second half saw the Glovers’ win streak come to an end.

With Mark Cooper bringing those rested on Saturday back into the side, they got off to a strong start when Sonny Cox made his way down the right wing before finding Rhys Murphy, who could not break through the crowd of bodies to get a shot away.

On 4 minutes, Freddie Grant broke down the left before cutting inside and shooting, but his low effort was collected by Joe Day. The Glovers then had another chance when Sonny Cox managed to thread the ball into the path of Rhys Murphy, but he skewed his shot wide.

Rhys Murphy then got even closer on 11 minutes when he stood over a free kick before bending it around the wall, but he was denied by the outstretched hand of Will Henry, who tipped his effort onto the post. The two sides continued to launch attacks at each other; moments later, Luke Spokes found space from a long-range shot before pulling the trigger, but his attempt was always curling away from the goal.

The Glovers then had the ball in the back of the net on 19 minutes when Michael Smith looked to have gotten behind the defence and slotted the ball beyond Will Henry, but the flag was up for offside. The Glovers continued to push following this as Will Dawes managed to intercept the ball high up the pitch before finding Morgan Williams, who took a shot, but it was well held by Will Henry.

It was the hosts that then had their chance to push forward. A flurry of corners and chances fell Chippenham’s way, but nothing troubled Joe Day in the Yeovil goal.

Just before the break, the Glovers progressed down the right before Will Dawes tried to flick the ball into the path of Matt Worthington, but Will Henry rushed out and collected the ball to avoid any problems. With it being a fairly uneventful half as far as stoppages, just one minute was added on as both sides went into the break level.

The second half saw Chippenham shoot down the slight slope at Hardenhuish Park. It wasn’t long before they had their first chance of the half when Tom Mehew struck an effort from range, but it was wide of the post. Minutes later, Yeovil had their best chance of the game. Frank Nouble flicked the ball into the path of Matt Worthington, who only had Will Henry to beat, but the sprawling Henry managed to clear Worthington’s low shot with his feet.

Just before the hour mark, the Glovers came extremely close again. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton’s corner dropped to Will Dawes, whose initial shot was blocked before his rebounded effort flew agonisingly wide of the post. The momentum was well and truly in Yeovil’s favour. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton saw a low effort from the edge of the box fly wide of the post.

Mark Cooper then looked to the bench as Jordan Maguire-Drew replaced Sonny Cox. Just moments after his introduction, Maguire-Drew had a chance from a free kick which beat the wall but not Will Henry, who continued to keep the score level. Henry was called into action again when he had to react quickly to deny Rhys Murphy’s acrobatic effort, swiftly followed by Frank Nouble’s header, which was flicked towards the far post.

Two more changes for the Glovers as Jake Hyde and Charlie Cooper came on to replace Sonny Blu Lo-Everton and Will Dawes. Moments after the change, the substitutions proved to make an impact. Frank Nouble’s cross was met by the head of Rhys Murphy, who was denied by Will Henry, but Jake Hyde was first to the rebound to drill in his fifth goal of the season.

Following the goal, it almost seemed as if it was a wake-up call for Chippenham. On 85 minutes, Luke Spokes found Leighton Tuodolo, who set himself before shooting, but his effort was saved by Joe Day. Moments later, Joe Day had to be aware again as Matt McClure forced Day into a diving save to keep the Glovers in front.

As the game crept towards injury time, Chippenham found their leveller. A cross from the right found the head of Duncan Idehen, which unfortunately ricocheted off Morgan Williams, who could only watch as the ball found the net.

With six additional minutes indicated seconds after the celebrations, the Glovers then pushed to try and regain the lead. The ball remained in the Chippenham half for the majority of stoppage time but were just unable to find the goal to nick all three points.

As the full-time whistle sounded around Hardenhuish Park, it marked the end of the Glovers’ win streak, but they retained their lead of 9 points at the top of the National League South table.