17th December 2016
Despite a bright start from Town, the Cumbrians went into the break 2-0 up thanks to a stunning 35-yard volley from Shaun Brisley and Charlie Wyke’s header as the hosts demonstrated their top of the table form. 
But, looking to get back in the play-off mix, the Glovers rallied after the break and got one back courtesy of Nathan Smith three minutes after the restart. 
Yeovil continued tom enjoy the majority of the second half but couldn’t find an equalising goal as Carlisle held on for all three points.
Darren Way made three changes to the side that lost 1-0 at home to Barnet last time out in Sky Bet League Two, looking to match the physicality of the Cumbrians. 
In midfield, the combative Matt Butcher replaced Ben Whitfield whilst former Carlisle favourite Francois Zoko and Tahvon Campbell came into the front three in place of Tom Eaves and Otis Khan who dropped to the bench.
Looking to get back to winning ways after having their eight-game unbeaten run brought to an end a week ago, the Glovers began on the front foot and produced the first chances of the game. 
Ryan Hedges’ deflected effort landed on top of the net from the angle before Campbell cut inside and forced Mark Gillespie into a diving save minutes later.
After a quiet start the hosts engineered their first meaningful attempt on goal from a Shaun Miller long throw which fell to namesake Tom, whose drive from inside the box was smartly saved by Artur Krysiak. 
However, the Yeovil stopper was powerless to prevent the Cumbrians taking the lead on the 10-minute mark. 
A deep free-kick was initially cleared by Town, but the clearance only fell to defender Brisley 35 yards from goal whose unstoppable volleyed effort flew into the back of the net. 
Buoyed from taking the lead Keith Curle’s side almost doubled their lead just before the 20-minute mark. 
After a Wyke flick-on, Shaun Miller’s audacious chip cannoned off the crossbar with Nicky Adams only able to blaze over on the rebound with Krysiak recovering. 
Yeovil continued to enjoy an even share of possession in the first half but it was Carlisle who caused havoc in the final third. 
Michael Raynes could only prod wide from 12 yards after a scramble in the middle, before Shaun Miller almost capitalised on Nathan Smith’s backpass only for Krysiak to race from his line and intervene. 
But the Cumbrian outfit doubled their lead before the break, as top scorer Wyke powerfully headed home Nicky Adams’ corner with a little under 10 minutes of the half remaining. 
The score stayed the same for the remainder of the first period before the Glovers began the second half in rapid style.
After a spell of pressure Town won a corner, and from Hedges delivery, Smith rose at the back post to score just his third ever professional goal with the help of the crossbar. 
Without a foothold back in the game, the Glovers almost drew level before the hour mark from yet another corner.
The well worked set-piece saw Hedges work it short before taking back the ball on the angle, with his effort being pushed away by Gillespie. 
Carlisle looked to hit Yeovil on the break but it was the visitors who continued to produce the chances. 
Good work from Zoko down left saw him beat Michael Raynes before swinging in a cross which had to be clawed off the line by Gillespie after Liam Shephard stole in at the back post.
Still enjoying the best of the play, Way’s side almost scored a carbon copy to their first after 70 minutes.
Another Hedges corner found Smith at the back post, but on the stretch the centre back could only head over the bar.
As the game ticked towards the final 10 minutes it became an end-to-end affair, with Krysiak called into action twice in quick succession, first to deny Jabo Ibehre from close range before saving Luke Joyce’s curling shot from 20 yards.
Back at the other end Yeovil had a good shout for a penalty waved away after Hedges pushed the ball past Macaulay Gillesphey only to be taken out, but referee Darren Handley only awarded a corner.
Town threw numbers forward in search of an equaliser late on and substitute Khan forced Gillespie into a save from range before a last-minute corner crashed off the post, but the Cumbrian’s held firm to hold off a battling Yeovil side to claim the victory. 
Carlisle United: Gillespie; Miller, Raynes, Brisley, Gillesphey; Lambe, Joyce, Kennedy, Adams; Wyke (Devitt 73’), Mille (Ibehre 73’).
Bookings: Kennedy 65’.
Subs not used: Crocombe, Ellis, Asamoah, Wright, McQueen.
Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Shephard, Lacey, Smith, Dickson; Dawson, Lawless, Butcher (Whitfield 85’); Hedges, Zoko (Eaves 71’), Campbell (Khan 64’).
Subs not used: Maddison, Ezewele, Mugabi, Copp.