7th December 2023

The Glovers returned to winning ways as Morgan Williams secured three points with a late strike at Twerton Park. Rhys Murphy’s suspension, following his fifth yellow card at Chippenham Town, opened up a space for Alex Fisher’s return to the starting XI for the first time since his double leg break in April.

Bath took the initiative early on. Dan Greenslade unleashed a shot from range in the opening minutes, which ricocheted wide of the goal. Moments later, Jordan Thomas delivered a dangerous cross that narrowly missed everyone, running just wide of the far post.

The Glovers’ first scoring opportunity came in the 8th minute when Alex Fisher found Frank Nouble, who couldn’t get high enough to steer his header on target as the danger was cleared. They continued to press, with Matt Worthington and Michael Smith combining down the left to produce a low cross, turned behind by Parselle.

Mark Cooper was forced into an early change as Alex Whittle received treatment and was replaced by Will Dawes. On 23 minutes, Michael Smith brought the ball down well, beat his man, and shot, but his effort was blocked by Dan Greenslade.

The hosts had their chances when Jordan Thomas tried to find Scott Wilson inside the area, but Joe Day quickly came out to claim the ball. Day was called into action again on 28 minutes when a corner from Thomas found the head of Bath captain Kieran Parselle, but the shot went straight into the hands of Joe Day.

Moments later, Frank Nouble had a chance with a header from Michael Smith’s cross, but it sailed well over the bar. The hosts had a bigger chance when Elliott Frear had the ball fall perfectly to his feet, but he couldn’t find the net due to a big block from Joe Day. The sides went in at half-time level with a huge missed opportunity for the hosts.

The second half began with a high press as the Glovers aimed to put more pressure on the Bath City goal. On 52 minutes, Morgan Williams rose highest at the back post following a corner, but his header flicked wide of the post.

On the hour mark, Frear had another effort cleared off the line. A cross from the right dropped to the feet of Elliott Frear, who only had Michael Smith to beat, but the Northern Irish full-back managed to block the shot, keeping the score level.

Mark Cooper made a couple of changes to the attacking line, replacing Jordan Young and Frank Nouble with Sonny Cox and Jake Hyde to freshen up the attack for the final stages.

As the clock ticked over to 80 minutes, the Glovers’ pressure finally paid off. Charlie Cooper’s delightful free kick found Morgan Williams, who placed the ball into the far corner, sending the 1,100 travelling Glovers into jubilation. A fantastic way for the defender to celebrate his recent contract renewal.

Charlie Cooper almost had a free kick sneak in at the back post on 85 minutes, but it went wide of the post. As the game entered seven additional minutes, Bath City had their best chance at finding an equaliser. Jordan Thomas, who had caused the Glovers issues all evening, managed to get a shot away from range, but it sailed over the bar.

Despite their best efforts, Bath was unable to find an equaliser as the Glovers secured a clean sheet and returned to winning ways in the West Country Derby at Twerton Park.