2nd April 2022

Charlie Lee’s interim reign as Yeovil Town manager began with a 2-2 draw on the road against Barnet.

After taking an early lead through Tom Knowles, the hosts pulled a goal back through Ephron Mason-Clark then taking the lead in the second half.

In the dying moments, Reuben Reid netted to earn Town a deserved point, but it really could’ve been more with chances continuing to fall until the final whistle.

The interim boss didn’t see fit to make any changes in the starting 11 from Yeovil Town’s victory over Southend. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton was the only change to the match day squad as he returned to the bench in the place of the injured Josh Staunton.

After two quick fire goals against Southend, the Glovers got off to a fast start once again. Knowles countered from a Barnet free-kick, danced through the Barnet defence and slotted beyond Askew for his third goal in three game in the ninth minute.

With 15 on the clock Yeovil were piling on the pressure, Dale Gorman’s free-kick was met by Luke Wilkinson but his header flew wide.

After riding an initial wave from Yeovil, Barnet looked dangerous going forward and after having two efforts cleared off the line, they scored a leveller with 25 on the clock. Mason-Clark who was a danger throughout, crashed his shot in off the underside of the crossbar.

Following the goal, it took the wind out of Yeovil’s sails a little as Lee’s side struggled to make chances in the closing stages of the half, with the only real test for Jake Askew coming in stoppage time as Charlie Wakefield fired on-target.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first, with Knowles looking like the Glovers’ bright spark. He worked room for himself with five minutes of the half played but blazed his effort over.

Both sides looked threatening with the ball, and with twenty minutes to go, it was Barnet who took advantage. Former King’s Lynn man Adam Marriott struck to put the hosts ahead.

In truth, the goal came in a slight lull for Yeovil, but Marriott’s strike certainly injected life back in the Glovers, throwing bodies forward and continually threatening the Barnet backline.

Substitute Josh Neufville was an instant threat, he drove with the ball and found Reid, who then dropped the ball into Gorman’s path, but the Northern Irishman somehow saw his effort saved.

With less than ten to go, Yeovil levelled the game. After pinball in the box, the ball dropped to Reid who acrobatically volleyed the ball beyond Askew to set up a grandstand finish.

It was end-to-end in the closing stages, with both sides going for the jugular. It was Town who went closest through substitute Sonny Blu Lo-Everton as he struck the post following a great pass from Neufville.

Despite pressure from both sides, 2-2 was how it finished as the spoils were shared in North London.

Yeovil Town: Cann; Little, Wilkinson, Barclay, Williams; Gorman, Worthington, D’Ath (Lo-Everton), Knowles; Wakefield (Neufville), Reid (Olomola)

Bookings: Wakefield, Gorman.

Subs not used: Barnett, Bradley.