15th May 2022

Josh Staunton led an injury-ravaged Yeovil Town side to a final day victory, beating Altrincham 1-0 at Moss Lane.

The only goal of the game came through Tom Knowles, who netted with a quarter of an hour gone.

Altrincham did look for a route back into the game, pushing until the final whistle, but a dogged defensive display was enough to sign off with a victory.

Staunton inherited a stretched squad for his one-game interim spell at the Club. This meant Max Evans began in goal, making his league debut, with Jordan Barnett, Jack Robinson, Morgan Williams & Mark Little starting in defence.

Lawson D’Ath and Alex Bradley anchored the midfield whilst Sonny Blu Lo-Everton began in a creative role behind the forwards. It was then a front three of Charlie Wakefield, Knowles & Reuben Reid that started.

The opening stages saw the hosts enjoy the vast majority of the ball, knocking the ball about nicely but hardly testing Evans on his National League debut.

In terms of openings for Altrincham, the closest came from crosses, which were expertly dealt with by Williams and Barnett.

At the other end, Yeovil began to grow in confidence, especially when Watford loanee Lo-Everton began to get control on the ball.

With a quarter of an hour gone, Yeovil found a way in front. Lo-Everton, who had been the Glovers’ bright spark, sent Knowles through on the right flank, he cut back inside and powered the ball beyond Tony Thompson in the Altrincham net.

Staunton was managing an already stretched squad, but his task became a little harder when Wakefield picked up an injury and was unable to continue. Adi Yussuf took his place.

In the closing stages of the half, Altrincham pushed but Evans remained untested.

The second half began in a more topsy-turvey fashion, with Yussuf clearly frustrated not to double Town’s advantage after being sent through by Lo-Everton with 50 minutes on the clock.

At the other end, Altrincham continued to put pressure on the Yeovil goal, with Evans forced into his first real save on 56 minutes after the ball was sent to the back-post after a corner.

As the half grew on, it was played in Alty’s favour far more. In the 71st minute, after Little lost the ball, Pringle pounced and played the ball to Josh Hancock who had his effort saved by Evans.

Looking to add a second, Yussuf and Lo-Everton both went close in quick succession but saw their efforts fly over the bar.

In the final ten minutes, Evans was made to earn his first clean sheet, making a number of solid saves.

Staunton was forced to bring himself on with five minutes to go due to an injury to Bradley, before Ollie Haste made his Yeovil Town debut in stoppage time.

Ultimately, Yeovil Town managed the game excellently to claim three points for the final time this campaign, and in turn made Josh Staunton the youngest ever manager to win a National League game.

Yeovil Town: Evans; Little, Williams, Robinson, Barnett; D’Ath, Bradley (Staunton), Lo-Everton (Haste); Wakefield (Yussuf), Knowles, Reid.

Bookings: D’Ath

Subs not used: Smith