31st October 2015

Despite leading 2-0 away at Carlisle United Town returned to Somerset empty handed after a 3-2 defeat.

Two goals in the first eight minutes from Ryan Bird and Harry Cornick shocked the home side, but a goal just before the break from Michael Raynes gave the home side hope going into the interval.

A second half header from Macauley Gillesphey leveled the scores before Raynes scored his second and Carlisle’s third to break Town’s hearts.

Manager Paul Sturrock was struck another injury blow before the game with midfielder Marc Laird missing the trip with a hamstring injury picked up in training.

Wes Fogden replaced the Scot in the centre of midfield in the only change from last week’s 3-2 defeat to Cambridge United.

With just four minutes on the clock the Glovers should have opened the scoring when Harry Cornick broke free of the Carlisle defence only to be denied by a fine save by Gillespie.

From the resulting corner Town did open their account when Bird nodded home his 7th goal of the season from a Dickson corner from the right.

Moments later Town doubled their advantage when Cornick found himself in plenty of room in the Carlisle area to coolly finish past a helpless Gillespie, much to the delight of the travelling Town fans.

On 12 minutes Yeovil could have scored their third of the afternoon. Cornick’s surging run saw the Bournemouth man release Dickson on the left. The head of Thomas met the winger’s cross, but his header went just wide of the post with Gillespie rooted to the spot.

Just after the half hour mark the home side pulled a goal back. Good play build up play from their own 18 yard box saw the men in blue get a corner on their left.

Mark Ellis headed the corner back across the goal line onto the head of Raynes, who couldn’t miss from one yard out.

In the 37th minute Town were dealt another injury blow when Nathan Smith was forced off with a injury. Matty Dolan replaced the left back and the change meant Dickson reverted to left back with Dolan playing as a left-winger.

At the start of the second period and the game flowing from end-to-end the home side equalised.

A shot at the back post was well blocked by Connor Roberts but from the resulting corner taken by Gilliead’s corner was headed home at the back post by substitute Gillesphey.

Town suffered another injury when Sokolik limped off after an hour with what appeared to a hip injury with Shaun Jeffers replacing him. The resulting change saw goal scorer Bird moved to centre back.

On 75 minutes to home side took the lead for the first time in the fixture when Krysiak palmed away a shot, but the ball fell kindly to defender Raynes who made no mistake in slamming the ball home from eight yards.

Despite Town throwing men forward in the dying minutes they couldn’t find an equaliser and returned home empty handed.