31st August 2013
An extremely harsh penalty from Adam Le Fondre on 76 minutes was enough to give Reading all three points at Huish Park this afternoon.
The spot kick, for a foul by Luke Ayling, was harsh justice for a Glovers side who had been the better side for long periods of the game. The result though leaves Gary Johnson’s men without a win, or a goal, in their first three Championship games.
After Tuesday night’s Capital One Cup heartache against Birmingham, Johnson brought back Andy Williams for Kieffer Moore up front while Joe Ralls replaced Liam Davis in left midfield.
The first twenty minutes, after Reading had looked the brighter, saw Yeovil create the clearer of the chances with Webster heading over, Upson testing former Glovers keeper Alex McCarthy with a thirty yard effort and both Ralls and Hayter shooting wide.
Garath McCleary had Reading’s first chance but fired his left foot shot over the bar with a yard to spare.
McCarthy then saved Jamie McAllister’s free kick and watched Joe Edwards’ dipping volley fly over his bar. Then Shaun Cumming shot over before Hayter then fired over at the other end.
It was good entertainment considering the half was goalless and there was still time for ex Real Madrid attacker Royston Drenthe to set up Danny Williams but the US international sliced his shot wide.
Yeovil came out after the break with a flea in their ear. Andy Williams shot was deflected then saved by McCarthy for a corner then shortly after, Williams cross shot then just missed the far post and Hayter almost reached a McAllister cross from the left.
still the chances came with Reading continually forced back by waves of Yeovil attacks while all the while, relying on Adam Le Fondre to chase down balls up front. Drenthe occasionally looked a threat but the back four seemed to cope well with the danger.
With fifteen minutes remaining, the game turned on a decision from referee Trevor Kettle. Le Fondre cut in along the left byline and seemingly having nowhere to go, went down under no challenge from Luke Ayling whatsoever but the official pointed to the spot, leaving the Yeovil side angry at the decision.
Le Fondre stepped up and blasted the spot kick down the middle to give his side the lead.
Johnson made three attacking subs bringing on Michael N’Goo, Sam Hoskins and Kevin Dawson for Hayter, Ralls and Grant but aside from a foul ON N’Goo in the box that again wasn’t spotted by Mr Kettle, no further scares for a Reading side that shook off the disappontment of Tuesday’s 6-0 League Cup debacle at Peterborough.
For Yeovil, they will look to pick up their next win at Hillsborough against Sheffield Wednesday in two weeks time after the international break.