24th August 2013
Yeovil Town went down to their third successive Skybet Championship defeat as they went down by three goals to nil at home to Derby County this afternoon.
Goals from Johnny Russell and Craig Bryson in the last four minutes of the first half gave the Rams a 2-0 half time lead and they added a third through top scorer Chris Martin before the hour. A much improved scond half performance from Gary Johnson’s men though after a half time reshuffle that saw the manager make two changes
The Glovers were denied a clear cut penalty halfway through the second period that might have seen them grab a lifeline when returning loanee Andy Williams was dragged down in the box but ref Keith Hill waved away the spot kick appeals.
Yeovil went into the game playing a 4-5-1 formation with Michael N’Goo the lone striker up top supported by five men in the middle. This meant that strike pairing James Hayter and Paddy Madden both had to be satisfied with a place on the bench.
Will Hughes had been the talk of the Championship in recent weeks and the bright-haired midfield general, rumoured to be interesting Premier League giants Liverpool, went close on three minutes with a rasping shot that went just wide of debutant keeper Wayne Hennessey’s post
But his opposite number, Lee Grant was also called into action early when he saved from Joe Ralls low shot.
After a shaky start, Yeovil gradually found themselves with more of the possession but saw attempts from Jeff Hendrick and Hughes again miss the target.
Just as the storm appeared to have been weathered, the Rams hit Yeovil with a double whammy with two goals in three minutes approaching half time.
Ex Bristol City defender Richard Keogh broke through and set up Hughes; he in turn played in Johnny Russell to curl one in to the far corner of Hennessey’s goal.
And Russell then combined well with Craig Bryson to set him up for the second goal on 44 minutes.
It could have been worse as Hennessey dived full length to deny Jamie Ward in first half stoppage time.
Johnson sent on Paddy Madden and Andy Williams at half time to replace N’Goo and Alan Tate and reverted to a more traditional 4-4-2 but it was Derby who sealed the game with a third goal just before the hour. Ward’s fierce shot was parried by Hennessey but fell kindly for Chris Martin who volleyed home his third goal in four games.
Ward nearly made it four on the hour mark but Yeovil stepped up a gear prompted by a more influential Liam Davis on the left flank. He saw one shot saved by Grant after creating space for himself just outside the box.
Andy Williams headed at Grant before he then was brought down in the box for what appeared to be a stonewall penalty but the official saw nothing wrong with the challenge.
This seemed to spark Yeovil somehow and after four successive corners threatened to break the Rams defence, Williams headed over the bar from a right wing cross.
In the closing moments, third sub Joel Grant was denied by a Rams block after some brilliant trickery down the left had fashioned a chance.
The Glovers now have a Capital One Cup tie at Huish Park to focus on, this Tuesday night at 7.45pm at Huish Park.