17th August 2013

.Town suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Burnley at Turf Moor

Two second half goals in the space of five minutes was enough to earn the home side all three points.

Gary Johnson named new loan signing Sam Johnstone in goal with fellow loan signings Chris Dunn and Joe Ralls named on the bench.


Johnstone was called in to action after seven minutes when he dived to his left to deny a Wallace long-range shot.


The hosts nearly broke the deadlock on 20 minutes. Sam Vokes beat the offside trap and saw Johnstone racing off his line, but his curling effort went narrowly wide of the upright.


Town’s first real chance of the first half fell to winger Davis after 35 minutes. Great build up on the right involving Ayling, Edwards and Dawson saw the Irish Dawson fizz a cross along the six-yard box. Davis found himself unmarked at the back post, but his right-footed effort from close range went over the bar with Heaton beaten.


The second half started with Yeovil on the front foot with Ed Upson firing wide after five minutes of the second period. Just moment later hard-work by Dawson on the right-wing resulted in him crossing into the area. The on-rushing Davis met Dawson’s cross, but his header fell to safety.


After the hour mark Yeovil made the first changes of the game with Tate and Hayter being replaced by Hoskins and Ngoo. Davis moved to left-back with Hoskins setting up on the left-wing.


A well worked free-kick moments later resulted Seaborne heading a Davis cross just wide of the upright.


The hosts took the lead after 72 minutes when after a corner was cleared the ball found its way to substitute Keith Treacy on the left-wing. The winger’s cross come shot found its way into the Yeovil net off the bar and the hand of Johnstone.


Just seconds later Burnley could have doubled their lead when Arfield was put clean through, but his angle was reduced by Johnstone and his shot went wide.


The home didn’t have to wait long to double their lead though. A free-kick on the right bounced around the Yeovil area after cannoning off the post. The loose ball fell to Arfield, whose shot hit the head of Vokes and into the net.


Johnstone was called into action with ten minutes to play when he did well to deny a glancing Vokes header.

In the dying minutes Luke Ayling kept the score at 2-0 when he blocked a certain goal.

With the fourth official signalling four minutes of added time substitute Ngoo found himself in space but his powerful shot was palmed away by Heaton.