14th April 2015

Yeovil Town, relegated on Saturday after drawing at home to Notts County, produced one of the results of the season as they beat playoff contenders Sheffield United 1-0 at Huish Park tonight.

Byron Webster’s 67th minute winner, a scrambled effort after he had flicked on a Sam Foley free kick, ensured Paul Sturrock retained his unbeaten record as Glovers boss, picking up four points from his two games in charge.

The new boss had made two changes to the side that held the free falling Magpies on Saturday. James Hayter and Joel Grant both dropped to the bench and there were starts instead for Kieffer Moore and Josh Sheehan as Yeovil continued with a 4-4-2 formation.

The first half lacked highlights of any substance with neither keeper in action for anything other than goal kicks. Any shots were wide, way over or in some cases, both, in a game played in an atmosphere well down in volume to the last time these two sides met here, in the playoff semi final second leg two years ago.

For the record, Jason Holt pulled his shot wide and Stefan Scougall’s volley sailed way over in a first half hour devoid of chances. Kieron Freeman, a threat all night roving down the left flank, also fired over and it took till the 41st minute before either keeper made a save. It was Artur Krysiak, the Pole denying Holt with a simple save.

Blades boss Nigel Clough was forced into two substitutions before the break with both Steve Davies and Ryan Flynn going off, replaced by Jamie Murphy and former Glover Craig Alcock respectively.

Yeovil’s first clear chance fell to Stephen Kingsley on 56 minutes but his aim was well wide, as was Paul Coutts for United a minute later. Kingsley was also wide after the hour mark but Yeovil soon took the lead in strange circumstances. Sam Foley swung in a free kick which was back headed by Byron Webster into the danger zone. Stephen Arthurworrey went in on a challenge with keeper Mark Howard and the ball went over the line, the assistant referee on the main stand side flagging for a goal. Arthurworrey immediately pointed to Webster, identifying him as the scorer.

The game, after briefly livening up, then seemed to settle back down again with neither side really troubling the other though Murphy went close with a right foot effort that whistled past the far post.

So at the final whistle, relief at the first three point haul at home since March 7th v Oldham but frustrations that the win came too late to save Yeovil’s season. The team now go on to face Swindon at the County Ground this weekend, the Robins winning 4-2 at Rochdale tonight.