9th August 2014

Yeovil Town produced a lacklustre display as they went down by three goals to nil at home to Doncaster Rovers at Huish Park today.

Goals from Curtis Main, Harry Forrester and sub Theo Robinson secured all three points for the visitors who barely had to get out of second gear to beat a side containing seven debutants in the starting eleven.

Town’s former on loan keeper Jed Steer will rarely have such a comfortable afternoon against a Glovers side that came closest to scoring deep into stoppage time with a shot that hit the crossbar.

Yeovil boss Gary Johnson will be bitterly disappointed at this opening day showing in front of 5,235 supporters at Huish Park after a pre-season that filled supporters with optimism for a good season. And with just three days till the Glovers Capital One Cup home tie against Gillingham, he will be looking for a quick response from his side.

Town began with the whole back five making their debuts, although Chris Weale was back for his third spell in goal for the club. He was left helpless on seven minutes though when Cedric Evina played the ball through to Curtis Main and the new Doncaster signing finished with aplomb, lobbing Weale into the empty net.

Main then set up Nathan Tyson but the ex-Nottingham Forest could only just reach the cross and put his effort wide. Yeovil fans then thought they had scored but Aaron Martin’s header from Sam Foley’s cross rippled the side netting.

On 21 minutes, Steer had to deal smartly with a defender’s clearance cannoned off Simon Gillett’s foot and the keeper did well to tip the ball over the crossbar. Tyson then went close as he slid the ball past the diving Weale but Brendan Moloney had time to clear off the line.

As the half closed, Donny exerted more pressure and James Coppinger ‘s fierce shot found the side netting. Tyson’s pace then forced Martin into a foul as he looked to race clear, ref Graham Horwood deciding a yellow card was sufficient punishment.

The first eighteen minutes after the break saw only one effort from either side, a Sam Foley sliced shot but just as the game was petering into a drab affair, Doncaster struck again. Harry Forrester was fed the ball on the counter attack and as Weale rushed out, Forrester lobbed the keeper to make it 2-0.

Having already withdrawn Foley for Nathan Ralph, Johnson made his final two changes at once, replacing Kieffer Moore and James Berrett with James Hayter and Sam Hoskins.

There was a worrying few moments for Yeovil fans when defenders Moloney and Liam Davis collided on the halfway line but both were able to continue after treatment. The delay meant that there were seven minutes of stoppage time at the end and in the third of these, Donny sealed the game. A ball forward over the top found sub Theo Robinson looking suspiciously offside but the striker waited before chipping the ball over Weale and into the net.