8th April 2014
Town suffered a 3-2 defeat to Charlton Athletic at The Valley.
Manager Gary Johnson stuck with the same starting eleven that won at Blackpool at the weekend. The only change came on the bench with Marek Stech returning from illness to replace Gareth Stewart.
After a subdued start the game sprung to life when the home side took the lead after nine minutes. Winger Ajdarevic ran at the Town defence and struck the ball from distance.
Just two minutes later Town levelled. A superb through ball by captain Jamie McAllister found Hayter, the striker’s clever pass found Grant. With the wingers shot looking like it would be saved by Hamer the ball took a deflection off a defender and into the net. 
The goal gave the Glovers confidence and they started passing the ball around well and attacked with good pace.
With 27 minutes on the clock Town hit the woodwork from a corner. The build up to the corner involved four players and resulted in Ralls shooting from distance and forcing Hamer into a full stretch diving save.
From the resulting corner Lawrence swung the corner in and had Hamer scrambling but luckily for the Charlton shot stopper the ball skimmed the bar and went out for a throw in.
In the last minute of the first half the hosts should have taken the lead when Sordell intercepted Webster’s pass, the striker sprinted clear but he was denied by a fine diving save by Chris Dunn.
The hosts took the lead again just two minutes into the second half. An outswinging corner was taken on the left by Jackson and was powerfully headed home from 10 yards out by Dervite.
Moments later the home side made it 3-1.  Dunn parried a shot on from the right, but Sordell coolly slotted the rebound home, much to the delight of the home fans, who suddenly sound their voices.
With just over 15 minutes remaining the Glovers pulled a goal back when a mix up in the Charlton back line resulted in the ball landing at Moore’s feet 12 yards out. The former Dorchester man made no mistake in slotting home to give the Town faithful behind the goal hope.
Despite five minutes of added on time signalled by the fourth official Town couldn’t find the equaliser.