6th October 2015

Yeovil Town progressed into the area quarter finals after a dramatic penalty shootout victory over high flying Coventry City tonight.

Artur Krysiak was the Glovers hero, turning in several good saves during the goalless ninety minutes before producing two brilliant spot kick saves to deny Lateef Elford-Alliyu and Sky Blues captain Sam Ricketts and send Yeovil into Saturday’s draw.

With the injured players gradually returning to the first team squad, manager Paul Sturrock made just two changes to his starting lineup. They were both forced too with Josh Sheehan away on Welsh international duty and Jakub Sokolik failing to recover from the dead leg he suffered in Saturday’s draw at Portsmouth. Marc Laird and Jake Howells came into the eleven in their place.

The first half was short ons goalmouth action and what there was came at the Yeovil end as Artur Krysiak was called on to save his side more than once. After experienced striker Marcus Tudgay had failed to hit the target from a tight angle, the Polish keeper parried a shot from Jacob Murphy and then denied Jim O’Brien whose shot bounced awkwardly in front of him. In between times, John Flecks thunderbolt  rippled the side netting.

Yeovil didn’t have a clear chance in the first half and were grateful again to Krysiak who parried another Tudgay shot then followed up saving a Murphy shot that was deflected off a defender.

The second half started in a similar fashion though as the clock ticked on, the game opened up with both teams keen to finish the duel before the lottery of penalties. Yeovils finishing was awry to start with Ryan Dickson mis hitting a shot and Matt Dolan blazing over the bar. Ryan Bird almost nipped in and intercepted a poor Coventry back pass but rookie keeper Reice Charles-Cook got to the ball just in time.

Krysiak then saved from sub George Thomas, Tudgay finding the side netting with his follow up and O’Brien shooting over as well. Connor Robertts looked certain to score but couldn’t get his shot past Charles-Cook and Bird missed a golden chance with a header from Howells corner that missed at the near post. It was a much better second half performance from Sturrock’s men and though Coventry had more chances late on, there were some wild shots from Thomas, Tudgay and Murphy that were of poor quality.

The shout began with Tudgay and Dickson exchanging successful penalties but Krysiaks first top save came from Lateef Elford-Alliyu. Ryan Bird, Jake Howells and Mark Laird all netted for Yeovil before the hero of the night, Krysiak, saved the best till last, brilliantly flying off to the left to Palm away Sam Ricketts spot kick.

So Yeovil progress to the quarter finals at the expense of League One high flyers Coventry City, hoping that the confidence from a much better display can be carried on into their league programme.