23rd March 2021

A second half fightback from Notts County saw Yeovil Town draw 2-2 at Huish Park.

First half goals from Jimmy Smith and Reuben Reid built a two-goal cushion for Town.

However, the second half saw the visitors claw their way back into the game, through late goals from Enzio Boldewijn and Rueben Rodrigues.

With his side ravaged by injuries, Darren Sarll altered his system against the Magpies, lining up in a 4-3-3 formation.

A.Smith retained his place in goal, whilst Michael Kelly, Albi Skendi, Max Hunt and Carl Dickinson began at the back.

Town’s deepest midfielder was Charlie Lee, with Matt Worthington and Jimmy Smith either side of him.

Starting with a front three for the first time this season, Josh Neufville, Reuben Reid and Tom Knowles led the attacking line for the Glovers.

As the sole striker, Reid’s found himself playing facing the goal more often than with his back to it. The Glovers number 33 burst beyond the County defence in the 4th minute but his effort was tame and straight into Slocombe’s legs.

Despite enjoying their fair share of the ball, chances were far from clear-cut, with Mark Ellis’ shot in anger the best chance for Neil Ardley’s side in the opening stages.

Ben Turner has spurned Notts County’s best chance of the first half, sending his header way over the bar from the edge of the six-yard box.

On Saturday, Sarll remarked that Notts County were dominant in the middle of the park, but it was Yeovil who ran the show in the first half at Huish Park. Worthington’s tireless work ethic almost earned a goal for Town as he refused to give up on a loose ball, but his blocked shot forced a corner.
From the corner, Town did in fact take the lead on 29 minutes. An excellent delivery from Kelly caused havoc in the box as the ball was flicked on by Lee. Although he may have known little about it, the ball found its way to J.Smith at the back post to turn the ball home.

One quickly became two, with Reid adding Yeovil’s second from the spot in the 36th minute. The system change caught Notts County off guard, Knowles was a continual threat on the right flank, and he was hauled down by Turner after the former Cambridge man got the wrong side of him in the box. After a short delay, Reid stepped up and converted his third goal since returning to Somerset.

At the break, Sarll’s side held a deserved advantage based on their forward-thinking mentality.

The second half, Notts County rang the changes early on in an attempt to get back into the game. This meant it didn’t take long for Town to change things up, adopting a diamond formation once again with Knowles dropping into the midfield and Neufville partnering Reid.

With Notts County throwing players forward, Yeovil looked to break with pace, Neufville had Town’s best chance as he poked the ball beyond Slocombe but his effort trickled narrowly wide.

As the half wore on, the visitors didn’t look like scoring until a moment of magic from Boldewijn who spun on the ball at the edge of the box and hammered his effort into the top corner.

With a goal under their belts, Notts County’s confidence only grew finding an equaliser just eight minutes later as substitute Rodrigues turned the ball in at the back post.

In the closing stages, Yeovil looked dead on their feet, as only the visiting side looking like they were going to score. They almost did in stoppage time as Kyle Wootton somehow missing the target from six yards out.

Ultimately, the Glovers were able to hang on for a point but will be frustrated to let a comfortable advantage slip against a promotion favourite.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Skendi, Hunt, Kelly; Lee, Worthington (Warburton), J.Smith; Knowles, Neufville, Reid (Quigley).

Bookings: A.Smith.

Subs not used: Evans, Sonupe, Dagnall