16th March 2021

Yeovil Town’s seven game winning run at Huish Park came to an end on Tuesday evening as Bromley left Somerset with all three points.

After a quiet first half, the game exploded to life in the second with Michael Cheek opening the scoring for the visitors, with Rhys Murphy then pulling one back in the 63rd minute from the spot.

As the game entered it’s dying stages, it looked as if the game would finish level, but a freak own goal from Reuben Reid caused late heartbreak for Town.  

Darren Sarll opted for two changes from the side which beat Woking at Huish Park.

The goalkeeper and defence remained unchanged with Adam Smith starting in goal, and Carl Dickinson, Max Hunt, Billy Sass-Davies, and Alex Bradley lining up at the back.

Charlie Lee began at the base of the diamond for the second successive game, whilst Matt Worthington returned to the side to start alongside Josh Neufville and Albi Skendi.

Murphy retained his spot upfront after his two-goal performance against Woking whilst Joe Quigley returned to the side.

Town’s attacking change almost made an immediate impact; Some nice close control from Quigley released the forward into a shooting position but his drilled strike was well saved by Mark Cousins.

After Quigley’s effort, the game hit a lull, with the midfield battle taking centre stage as the two sides felt each other out.

It wouldn’t be until the 25th minute before there was another opening. Following a mistimed header from a Bromley defender, the ball broke through to Murphy on the left channel but once again Cousins was equal to Yeovil’s attempt.

Bromley’s best chance of the half fell in the 35th minute, following good work from former Glover Courtney Duffus, the ball dropped kindly for Michael Cheek at the edge of the box but his effort on the bounce flew wide.

As the half continued, both sides lacked the incisive touch to create any clear-cut openings.

The same couldn’t be said about the second half, with Bromley almost opening the scoring just seconds after the restart. A clipped cross allowed Duffus a free header but a acrobatic save from A.Smith kept the score level.

However, on 57 minutes, Bromley did find a way to strike in front. After Cheek strolled through the Town midfield, he played the ball out wide before receiving a cross unmarked in the box to emphatically head home the opener.

Yet, Bromley’s lead only lasted a matter of minutes, with as ex-Yeovil Town player Byron Webster handling Murphy’s initial shot to give the referee no choice but point to the spot.

In his current vein of form, there was no doubt about the end product, as Murphy hammered home the leveller into the top corner.

Following the goal, the green and whites had the wind in their sails, starting to thrust the game onto the Bromley backline, yet it took until the 90th minute for the Glovers to make a clear-cut chance of note again.

Substitute Tom Knowles did excellently to work a yard but Reid couldn’t quite convert at the back post.

Just moments later, an almost identical chance fell to Murphy. Dickinson’s inch perfect cross found the Glovers top scorer in the six-yard box but his header bounced wide of the mark.

In agonising fashion, Yeovil lost the game in the final minute as Reid’s header flew beyond A.Smith and into his own net, for Bromley to take the points back to Hayes Lane.

Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Sass-Davies, Hunt, Bradley; Lee (J.Smith), Worthington (Knowles), Neufville, Skendi; Quigley (Reid), Murphy

Bookings: Dickinson, Lee, Sass-Davies

Subs not used: Dagnall, Kelly.