18th February 2013

Report by Ali King

Home to Portsmouth Ladies (To be played at Sherborne Town FC) – (FA Women’s Cup) 24 February 2013, 2.00pm kick off.
Next Match:


0-1 (10), 1-1 (Bray – 15), 2-1 (Rapp – 62), 3-1 (Bray – 66), 4-1 (Cook 72), 5-1 (Cook 76), 6-1 (Cornwall – 86), 7-1 (Cornwall, 89)

Pearson, Osman
Substitutes Not Used:

Simkin, Grogan, Brazell, Williams, Edwards, Radburn, Whitton, Bray, Cook (Keehan – 82), Lorton (Cornwall – 75), Sage (Rapp – 56)
Yeovil Town Ladies:

“As it turned out, it was a good day at the office,” White said. “It was an important game to finally get played, and we now have a chance of winning this competition for the third year in a row. We now turn our attentions to next week for what should be a tougher match against Portsmouth in the FA Cup. This is a game that we are looking forward to, and one that we will be looking to win.”

The Glovers were now 5-1 up, but still wanted more, and got a further two, with Cornwall converting twice in the final four minutes, firstly scoring from edge of box after a neat turn on 86 minutes, and then in the final minute of the match following a Bray cross into the box.

The Glovers settled well in the second period, taking full control of the game, and once Grace Rapp had given her side the lead on 62 minutes, after receiving a good pass from Kirsty Whitton, they never looked back. Bray got her second of the game four minutes later, homing in on a cross from the right by Rapp, and then Bray turned provider on 72 minutes, gifting Cook her first of the of the game, before scoring her second four minutes later from a Jodi Cornwall cross.

It was a scrappy first half with an awkward swirling wind making good play difficult. Larkhall settled well and scored the opening goal on ten minutes. However, Yeovil were in determined mood and less than a minute later Kayleigh Sage went close with a coolly taken shot from just inside the box that unluckily came off the bar. Despite being a scrappy game, the girls kept coming forward with some good moves, and Laura Bray grabbed the equaliser on fourteen minutes when she side footed the ball into bottom corner of the net after a great through ball from Katie Cook.

“Despite an early set back, we did well and deserved the victory,” manager for the day Chris White said after the game. “We fought hard and took the goals well, and can now look forward to going further in the competition. I was pleased with the girls, who put in a good performance in poor weather conditions.”

LAURA Bray, Katie Cook and Jodi Cornwall all scored two goals apiece, with Grace Rapp adding another as Yeovil Town Ladies came from being a goal down to fly into the next round of the Somerset FA Women’s Senior cup, beating last year’s finalists Larkhall Athletic Ladies 7-1 at Bucklers Mead on Sunday.