24th April 2014

To view videos of the goals visit the Ladies YouTube channel by clicking here.

Yeovil Town Ladies and London Bees had contrasting results in their previous games; while the Glovers lost 3 – 0 the Bees won 3 – 0. Despite this, it was Yeovil who made the better start, with Jade Kirby’s header looping just over the bar.

However Bees threatened as well and a ‘hoof’ up field put striker Lucy Loomes through on goal, but her shot was saved by goalkeeper Rachel Simkin. Simkin was on fine form and made a spectacular double save a minute later, thwarting Sydney Hinchcliffe and then Loomes from the rebound.

Yeovil soaked up the pressure and made the breakthrough just after half an hour. A slick move down the right flank ended with Polly Wardle crossing low into the box for striker Katie Cook, who controlled the ball and fired into the back of the net.

From then on it was one-way traffic with Yeovil keeping their foot on the gas pedal. Katie Sherwood crossed into the box and Paige Stewart was inches away from making contact. The ball then found its way back to Sherwood who curled a shot from just outside the box just wide of the goal.

The pressure continued and when Wardle crossed again from the right flank, Stacey Pearson headed the ball across the goal and past Bees ‘keeper Sophie Harris.

That goal ensured Yeovil Town went into the break 2 – 0 up, and they started the second period in the same vain. A corner from Helen Bleazard in the first minute evaded everyone except Pearson, who notched her second goal of the game.

Despite being 3 – 0 down, London Bees still looked threatening on occasions. Hinchcliffe was put through on goal but Simkin came out and blocked the shot.

On 58 minutes the Bees did pull a goal back. A shot from Amber Gaylor bounced in front of Simkin, and in slippery conditions all the Glovers goalkeeper could do was push the ball out for a corner. From that corner, an unmarked Paige Wakefield put the ball into the back of the net.

This acted as a wake-up call for Yeovil, and Stewart tried to offer an immediate reply from a long range shot, but it was saved. Then, when Wardle was put through on goal her lob went just wide of the goal.

Yeovil did get their fourth with half an hour left when Cook latched onto a Wardle through ball, however the torrential rain had created a large puddle in front of the goal. The ball got stuck in the puddle, but luckily Pearson was on hand to tap in for her hat trick.

Yeovil kept pressing for a fifth goal, but a long range shot from Bleazard went over the bar and ‘keeper Harris saved from a Wardle 1 on 1. Despite these late missed chances it still finished 4 – 1 to Yeovil, and the Glovers had their first three points in the FA Women’s Super League.

The Glovers are in action on Sunday 27th April away to Oxford, with the next home game at The Jones Stadium four days later on the 1st May. This will see Yeovil Town Ladies take on FA WSL 1 side Birmingham City in the Continental Cup. To find out more and to get tickets for this game, please click here.


Photo courtesy of Terry Fisher Photography. To view the full album from the game please click here.