27th April 2021

Joe Quigley made the headlines as his perfect hat-trick secured a 3-0 victory for Yeovil Town over Solihull Moors.

Looking to avenge Saturday’s defeat, Quigley returned to the side and made an instant impact, opening the scoring, turning home his penalty with a diving header which was initially saved by Ryan Boot.

Adding to his tally in the second half with two stunning finishes with both feet for a night to remember at Huish Park for the Glovers forward.

After a humbling defeat on Saturday, Darren Sarll made four changes as he hunted revenge. Adam Smith remained in goal, whilst Albi Skendi dropped into the defence alongside Michael Kelly, Billy Sass-Davies, and Carl Dickinson. 

The midfield saw a surprising inclusion of Chris Dagnall who started at the tip of the diamond alongside Charlie Lee, Tom Knowles, and Jimmy Smith. Town’s forward line was changed completed as Joe Quigley partnered Luton Town loanee Josh Neufville.

Despite the abundance of changes, it was the visitors that started the brighter, with the first chance coming in the fifth minute. Joe Sbarra had the Moors’ effort but a strong save from A.Smith kept the Glovers level.

It took the fresh faces of Yeovil Town 20 minutes to begin to threaten, firstly with a speculative effort from Knowles which almost played through Dagnall, but some excellent defending from Jordan Cranston ushered the ball into Ryan Boot’s gloves.

After an even opening, Town were offered a golden chance to go in front on 27 minutes as Quigley was fouled in the box earning the Glovers a penalty. Quigley stepped up to take, and after his initial effort was saved, he followed up and headed home the opener.

Quigley almost had a second in as many minutes as his header was cleared off the line following Dickinson’s corner.

The goal bled confidence into the Yeovil players with chances continuing to fall, the best falling to Knowles who hooked his effort from the edge of the box wide on the stroke of half-time.

At the break, the Glovers held a deserved lead, and it didn’t take long for them to double it in the second. Once again, Quigley provided the finishing touch as Dickinson’s inviting cross to the front post was poked home by the towering forward in the 55th minute.

Learning from Saturday’s mistakes, Yeovil excellently held the visitors at arm’s length, restricting them to shots from distance, most notably Callum Maycock’s first time effort on 61 minutes.

Putting the icing on the cake in the 72 minute, Quigley fired home his third goal with a sublime finish on his left foot. After Knowles’ deep free kick was flicked on by Skendi, the Yeovil Town number 19 reacted first to hammer the ball home and complete a memorable night.

Substitutes followed which highlighted Town’s attacking intent, with Emmanuel Sonupe getting some valuable minutes in his road to recovery.

Solihull Moors almost pulled back a late consolation in injury time as former Yeovil man Adam Rooney couldn’t quite get a clean connection on his poked effort and allowing A.Smith to claim easily.

All in all, it was an excellent night for Town, showing real resolve to bounce back and claim victory a comfortable result against a side who had done the same to them just days ago.

Next up for Sarll’s side is a trip to Wealdstone to face Stuart Maynard’s Wealdstone.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Kelly, Sass-Davies, Skendi, Dickinson; Lee (Worthington), Knowles (Sonupe), J.Smith, Neufville, Dagnall (Murphy); Neufville, Quigley

Subs not used: Reid, Hunt.