14th August 2018

Dominating the opening 45 minutes the League Two outfit created a host of chances as Steve Bruce’s side failed to handle the rampant Glovers. 

Alex Fisher and Yoann Arquin both went close before Diallang Jaiyesimi had a goal disallowed just before the break in controversial circumstances.

More than matching their higher division opponents after the restart, the hosts were awarded a penalty on 59 minutes only for Andre Moreira to deny Fisher from 12 yards.

Having managed to somehow keep the score at 0-0, the Villans snatched victory from the Glovers as the final 10 minutes approached when Conor Hourihane prodded home from close range to end Town’s Carabao Cup campaign.

Darren Way made four changes for the visit of Championship opposition with the experienced Gary Warren and Reece Cole coming in for their full debuts. 

Returning from suspension, Tom James returned at right-back whilst Fisher made a first start of the campaign up front in place of club captain Francois Zoko. 

Without the services of Stuart Nelson (calf), Jake Gray (ankle), Shaun Donnellan (thigh), Francois Zoko (XXXX) and Jordan Green (suspended), academy duo Gabby Rogers and Tyrique Clarke featured amongst the substitutes.

Buoyed by an encouraging display at the weekend the green and whites started in assured fashion with a virtual monopoly on possession.

Spraying the ball about confidently it was Town who created the game’s best openings, with two in quick succession just past the quarter-of-an-hour mark.

Sliding in to collect a through ball, Fisher quickly shifted the ball onto his left foot before dispatching a curling effort destined for the top corner which forced Moreira into a fingertip save. 

Enjoying themselves on a sunny Somerset night the hosts went close again moments later when a half-cleared free-kick was volleyed a couple of feet over the bar by one of Saturday’s goalscorers Arquin. 

Recognising they were being outclassed by their League Two opponents, the Villans attempted to up the gears and enjoyed their own short-spell of pressure.

Only able to create a half-chance for Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, the visitors were soon back on the front foot and almost a goal down. 

Sessi D’Almeida’s ball beat the offside trap allowing Jaiyesimi to pass back across goal to strike partner Fisher, whose shot was hacked off the line by Axel Tuanzebe. 

In a rare moment of excitement for the traveling supporters Andre Green saw a rocket of a shot from 30 yards tipped over by Nathan Baxter before Town thought they’d broken the deadlock with five minutes of the half remaining. 

Having just missed a glorious chance when one-on-one with Moreira, Jaiyesimi prodded the ball home from a corner only for the referee to harshly award a Villa free-kick for a foul in the build-up when the hosts would’ve had a strong claim for a penalty.

More than deserving a midway advantage the Glovers had to settle for stalemate at the break, taking comfort from their encouraging performance. 

The theme continued after the restart which triggered the introduction of the talismanic Jack Grealish and potent goal threat of Jonathan Kodjia for the Villans. 

Before the duo could make an impact, Town squandered their best chance yet to finally open the scoring on the hour-mark. 

Referee John Brooks spotted a foul by Tommy Elphick as a free-kick was swung in, instantly pointing to the spot. 

Fisher stepped up in the absence of regular taker Zoko but watched on as the debutant goalkeeper guessed right to deny Yeovil’s number nine.

Sensing it might not be the hosts’ day, Grealish set about delivering a sucker punch just minutes later but saw his shot from the edge of the box cannon back off the crossbar.

With the stakes rising, Kodjia and Warren had a coming together which appeared to show the Villa man swing punches in the direction of Town’s defender, but the referee brandished a yellow each to keep it 11-men each.

Perhaps lucky to remain on the pitch, Kodjia played a pivotal role on 77 minutes when the visitors fired home an undeserved opening goal. 

The Ivorian’s s strong run down the right did all the work with his low ball across the box perfect for Hourihane to tap in from a few feet.

Throwing caution to the wind, Academy product Gabriel Rogers was introduced by Way for his professional debut whilst also becoming the first Yeovil player to be born this millennium. 

Desperate for an equaliser their performance merited Omar Sowunmi played as an additional forward for the closing stages, but it wasn’t enough as the green and white’s Carabao Cup campaign came to an end, albeit despite impressing the nation live on Sky Sports.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; James, Sowunmi, Warren, Dickinson; Arquin, D’Almeida, Cole (Pattison 33′), McDonald; Jaiyesimi (Henry 83′), Fisher (Rogers 85′).
Bookings: Warren 63′, D’Almeida 65′
Subs not used: Phillips, Mugabi, Santos, Clarke.

Aston Villa: Moreira; De Laet, Elphick, Tuanzebe, Taylor; Whelan, Hourihane; Adomah, Hayes (Grealish 58′), Green (Bree 83′); Hepburn-Murphy (Kodjia 58′).
Bookings: Hourihane 24′, Hayes 44′, Kodjia 63′
Subs not used: Bunn, Chester, McKirdy, McGinn.