14th July 2012

Yeovil Town and Hereford United played out a 1-1 stalemate as the Glovers kicked off their 2012/13 pre-season schedule at Edgar Street this afternoon.

Ed Upson put Yeovil ahead with a deflected effort just before half time and Bulls trialist Lloyd Macklin took advantage of a defensive lapse four minutes from time to earn the hosts a draw.

Glovers boss Gary Johnson began the match with six of his new signings in the starting eleven. Keeper Marek Stech; defenders Jamie McAllister and Byron Webster; midfielders Lewis Young and Rohan Ince (loan) plus striker James Hayter started with the plan being to make a multitude of changes at half time.

Gavin Williams hit a tame shot at the keeper on ten minutes before Hayter then blasted over after clever work from Young on the right flank.

Ed Upson then also tested home keeper Dan Hanford before Hayter then chipped narrowly over the crossbar as the Glovers had the best of the chances.

However Marek Stech was called into action late in the first half when he tipped over a thunderbolt free kick from Harry Pell, thirty five yards out.

Four minutes remained before half time when Salika Cisse, a trialist from the French academy, tricked his way into the box and laid the ball back for Ed Upson to finish neatly with a sidefooted effort from twenty yards out.

Gary Johnson made nine changes at half time including the introduction of new buys Keanu Marsh-Brown, Sam Foley, Reuben Reid and Nathan Ralph and it was Foley who looked to have doubled the Glovers advantage on 48 minutes.

Played through from midfield, the ex-Newport County star ran on and chipped a lovely effort into the net but the goal was ruled out for an offisde against a team mate running back from an offisde position but not interfering with play.

Hereford definitely had the bulk of the second half possession and missed two golden chances to equalise but following a defensive mix-up with four minutes left, trialist Lloyd Macklin curled the ball home past a helpless Gareth Stewart.

Yeovil had created some chances in the second period through Ralph, trial player Casey Thomas and Reid but none troubled keeper Hanford and a draw was probably a fair result on the balance of possession.

Yeovil (first half).

Marek Stech, James Clarke, Aaron Racine, Byron Webster, Jamie McAllister, Lewis Young, Ed Upson, Rohan Ince, Salika Cisse, Gavin Williams, James Hayter.

Yeovil (second half)

Gareth Stewart, Luke Ayling, Richard Hinds, Joe Walsh, Aaron Raccine, Keanu Marsh-Brown, Sam Foley, Rohan Ince, Nathan Ralph, Reuben Reid, Casey Thomas.

Second half subs: Clarke for Ince 76 min, Young for Raccine 76 min.