6th August 2016
Yeovil Town 2 Notts County 0
Match report Yeovil Town v Notts County
Written by Josh Wilde
Two first half goals by Kevin Dawson and Otis Khan saw Yeovil claim an impressive opening day victory against Notts County at Huish Park.
Darren Way kept faith in the team that beat Swindon Town 2-1 in the Glovers final pre-season friendly seven days ago. 
Yeovil starting team: (4-3-3 formation) Krysiak; Dickson, Lacey, Smith, Shephard; Dolan, Lawless, Dawson; Khan, Eaves, Hedges.
Alex Lawless, Otis Khan and Ryan Hedges made their competitive debuts in a green and white shirt, while Tom Eaves and Liam Shephard returned to Huish Park following previous spells with the Glovers.
Yeovil started well and had their first chance on seven minutes when Matt Dolan’s excellent cross found Eaves, with the former Bolton frontman heading wide.
Khan nearly scored an exceptional solo goal minutes later as he glided past Notts County defenders to shoot narrowly wide of the left-hand post; home fans were on their feet expecting the net to bulge but they did not have to wait long for a Glovers’ opener.
On 16 minutes, an Otis Khan cross was inexplicably spilt by Notts goalkeeper Adam Collin and Kevin Dawson was the first to react, steering the ball into an unguarded net.
Just six minutes later, Yeovil doubled their lead; Hedges initial shot was well-saved by Collin but Khan slotted home the rebound to send Glovers fans into raptures.
With the Thatchers Gold terrace singing “We’re top of the league”, Darren Way’s players looked like a team full of confidence. Khan was close scoring his second and Yeovil’s third as he was sent through one-on-one but could only shoot wide.
Dawson was also looking to double his tally but fired two efforts narrowly off target as the Glovers looked to exploit their advantage and throw men forward at every opportunity.
That was the last notable action of a first half dominated by Yeovil.
In the second period, Jonathan Forte created a decent opening for Notts but his dangerous cross was well cleared by the Yeovil defence.
Close to the hour mark, the Glovers were inches from scoring a sensational third as Dolan’s free-kick crashed against the post from distance.
Notts substitute Graham Burke shot just over as the away side desperately searched for a way back into the game.
The Magpies were finishing strongly and Forte came close to halving the deficit when he worked space in the Yeovil area, only to see his near post shot well saved by Artur Krysiak. 
Up the other end, the Glovers were looking to put the game to bed as Hedges volleyed just off target after receiving the ball from substitute Tahvon Campbell.
That was the last chance at Huish Park in a game where a dominant first half performance by the Glovers saw them run out deserved winners.
Attendance: 3,715.