9th December 2017

Matt Green finished from inside the area to give the play-off chasing Imps the lead before Matt Rhead wrapped up the scoring with a header 21 minutes from time.

Manager Darren Way made three alterations to his side following the midweek Checkatrade Trophy win over AFC Wimbledon, recalling Nathan Smith to the backline and Francois Zoko up front.

James Bailey resumed captain duties on his return to the starting line-up with Tuesday’s skipper Oscar Gobern partnering him in central midfield.

However, the 26-year-old’s league debut was ended after six minutes due to injury, giving Alefe Santos an early opportunity to impress from the bench.

The ball saw a lot of air time in the opening exchanges with Lincoln trying to take advantage of their physical threat.

Centre-back Sean Raggett nodded over in an offside position while big frontman Rhead also headed over in vain.

Yeovil’s first attempt of the contest was likewise a header. Otis Khan pressed Neil Eardley on the byeline, winning a corner as his reward, and his delivery was powered on to the top of the net by Bevis Mugabi. 

Santos followed with a wayward volley and Imps goalkeeper Josh Vickers needed to be quick out of the blocks to deny Olomola a shooting chance after a clever, yet slight overhit, through ball from Zoko.

Then a long set-pieces from Tom James found Omar Sowunmi unmarked just inside the area but the Glovers defender failed to test Vickers. 

Referee Lee Collins made the match a stop-start affair, awarding free kicks for petty fouls which suited Lincoln due to their direct approach.

It was route one football that almost resulted in a City opener. Sam Habergham’s swinging corner was met by Raggett and his bullet header crashed against the crossbar.

In contrast, Town aimed to keep the ball on the deck and two fine mazy dribbles saw them register their first shots on target.

First off on his travels was Jordan Green who launched a counter-attack deep inside home territory and when he was fouled, Khan’s curler was beaten away by Vickers.

Mugabi was next to go on an adventure, slaloming in and out of black-shirted players before warming Vickers’ gloves from distance. 

After the interval, City continued in their typical style. A punt forward saw Rhead flick-on for Matt Green to collect; he saw his shot blocked and Michael Bostwick picked up the scraps, smashing into the away terrace.

An unbelievable defence-splitting pass from Bailey should have seen Yeovil take the lead but 60 seconds later they were behind.

Olomola gathered possession and was thwarted one-on-one. The following corner was cleared by Eardley, Rhead gathered, thread through to Matt Green who raced down the middle of the pitch and slotted home.

The Glovers immediately pressed for a way back into the game. Zoko ran the left channel effectively and teed up James whose strike was blocked and cleared.

For 15 minutes afterwards, the game lulled before a brilliant piece of play extended the away side’s lead.

Rhead’s neat nudge on to Matt Green pulled a couple of green and white shirts out of position. Ex-Mansfield Town man Green rolled back for Eardley to cross, and his sweet delivery reached Rhead who was on hand to turn the ball in at the back stick.

Town battled hard for the remaining 20 minutes to force their way back into the contest but found a stubborn Lincoln defence in wait, meaning Vickers wasn’t called upon.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Mugabi, Sowunmi, N.Smith, James, Green, Bailey (C.Smith 72), Gobern (Santos 6), Khan, Olomola (Surridge 63), Zoko.
Not Used: 
Maddison, Davies, Gray, Worthington.

Lincoln City: Vickers, Eardley, Waterfall, Raggett, Habergham, Woodyard, Bostwick, Anderson, Stewart (Arnold 80), Rhead (Whitehouse 75), Green (Palmer 78).
Waterfall 35.
Not Used:
Farman, Long, Knott, Dickie.